This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A young adult says, I was sexually abused by my older brother. During those assaults, I went ... (Read 43 times)

geodog55

A young adult says, I was sexually abused by my older brother. During those assaults, I went somewhere else in my mind. I don't remember the details. Now, I often feel numb or unreal in romantic relationships, so I just avoid them.

Which disorders should the nurse suspect based on this history? Select all that apply.

a. Acute stress disorder
  b. Depersonalization disorder
  c. Generalized anxiety disorder
  d. Posttraumatic stress disorder
  e. Reactive attachment disorder
  f. Disinhibited social engagement disorder

Question 2

Which experiences are most likely to precipitate posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)? Select all that apply.

a. A young adult bungee jumped from a bridge with a best friend.
  b. An 8-year-old child watched an R-rated movie with both parents.
  c. An adolescent was kidnapped and held for 2 years in the home of a sexual predator.
  d. A passenger was in a bus that overturned on a sharp curve and tumbled down an embankment.
  e. An adult was trapped for 3 hours at an angle in an elevator after a portion of the supporting cable breaks.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

welcom1000

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A, B, D
Acute stress disorder, depersonalization disorder, and posttraumatic stress disorder can involve dissociative elements, such as numbing, feeling unreal, and being amnesic for traumatic events. All three disorders are also responses to acute stress or trauma, which has occurred here. The distracters are disorders not evident in this patient's presentation. Generalized anxiety disorder involves extensive worrying that is disproportionate to the stressors or foci of the worrying. Reactive attachment disorder and disinhibited social engagement disorder are problems of childhood.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C, D, E
PTSD usually occurs after a traumatic event that is outside the range of usual experience. Examples are childhood physical abuse, torture/kidnap, military combat, sexual assault, and natural disasters, such as floods, tornados, earthquakes, tsunamis; human disasters, such as a bus or elevator accident; or crime-related events, such being taken hostage. The common element in these experiences is the individual's extraordinary helplessness or powerlessness in the face of such stressors. Bungee jumps by adolescents are part of the developmental task and might be frightening, but in an exhilarating way rather than a harmful way. A child may be disturbed by an R-rated movie, but the presence of the parents would modify the experience in a positive way.

geodog55

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

amandanbreshears

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

A good example of polar molecules can be understood when trying to make a cake. If water and oil are required, they will not mix together. If you put them into a measuring cup, the oil will rise to the top while the water remains on the bottom.

Did you know?

Nitroglycerin is used to alleviate various heart-related conditions, and it is also the chief component of dynamite (but mixed in a solid clay base to stabilize it).

Did you know?

In women, pharmacodynamic differences include increased sensitivity to (and increased effectiveness of) beta-blockers, opioids, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, and typical antipsychotics.

Did you know?

The newest statin drug, rosuvastatin, has been called a superstatin because it appears to reduce LDL cholesterol to a greater degree than the other approved statin drugs.

Did you know?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) was originally known as the Communicable Disease Center, which was formed to fight malaria. It was originally headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, since the Southern states faced the worst threat from malaria.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library