This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient diagnosed with obsessive-compulsive disorder has this nursing diagnosis: Anxiety related ... (Read 39 times)

clmills979

A patient diagnosed with obsessive-compulsive disorder has this nursing diagnosis: Anxiety related to __________ as evidenced by inability to control compulsive cleaning. Which phrase correctly completes the etiological portion of the diagnosis?

a. feelings of responsibility for the health of family members
  b. approval-seeking behavior from friends and family
  c. persistent thoughts about bacteria, germs, and dirt
  d. needs to avoid interactions with others

Question 2

The nurse assesses a patient who complains of loneliness and episodes of anxiety. Which statement by the patient is mostly likely if this patient also has agoraphobia?

a. I'm sure I will get over not wanting to leave home soon. It takes time.
  b. Being afraid to go out seems ridiculous, but I can't go out the door.
  c. My family says they like it now that I stay home most of the time.
  d. When I have a good incentive to go out, I can do it.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

tandmlomax84

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Many compulsive rituals accompany obsessive thoughts. The patient uses these rituals for anxiety relief. Unfortunately, the anxiety relief is short lived, and the patient must frequently repeat the ritual. The other options are unrelated to the dynamics of compulsive behavior. See relationship to audience response question.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Individuals who are agoraphobic generally acknowledge that the behavior is not constructive and that they do not really like it. The symptom is ego dystonic. However, patients will state they are unable to change the behavior. Agoraphobics are not optimistic about change. Most families are dissatisfied when family members refuse to leave the house.

clmills979

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

diana chang

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Most childhood vaccines are 90–99% effective in preventing disease. Side effects are rarely serious.

Did you know?

The lipid bilayer is made of phospholipids. They are arranged in a double layer because one of their ends is attracted to water while the other is repelled by water.

Did you know?

Nearly all drugs pass into human breast milk. How often a drug is taken influences the amount of drug that will pass into the milk. Medications taken 30 to 60 minutes before breastfeeding are likely to be at peak blood levels when the baby is nursing.

Did you know?

Certain chemicals, after ingestion, can be converted by the body into cyanide. Most of these chemicals have been removed from the market, but some old nail polish remover, solvents, and plastics manufacturing solutions can contain these substances.

Did you know?

Approximately one in four people diagnosed with diabetes will develop foot problems. Of these, about one-third will require lower extremity amputation.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library