Author Question: A nurse wants to teach alternative coping strategies to a patient experiencing severe anxiety. Which ... (Read 38 times)

Alainaaa8

A nurse wants to teach alternative coping strategies to a patient experiencing severe anxiety. Which action should the nurse perform first?

a. Verify the patient's learning style.
  b. Lower the patient's current anxiety.
  c. Create outcomes and a teaching plan.
  d. Assess how the patient uses defense mechanisms.

Question 2

A patient experiencing moderate anxiety says, I feel undone. An appropriate response for the nurse would be:

a. What would you like me to do to help you?
  b. Why do you suppose you are feeling anxious?
  c. I'm not sure I understand. Give me an example.
  d. You must get your feelings under control before we can continue.

mcni194

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
A patient experiencing severe anxiety has a markedly narrowed perceptual field and difficulty attending to events in the environment. A patient experiencing severe anxiety will not learn readily. Determining preferred modes of learning, devising outcomes, and constructing teaching plans are relevant to the task but are not the priority measure. The nurse has already assessed the patient's anxiety level. Use of defense mechanisms does not apply.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Increased anxiety results in scattered thoughts and an inability to articulate clearly. Clarifying helps the patient identify thoughts and feelings. Asking the patient why he or she feels anxious is non-therapeutic; the patient likely does not have an answer. The patient may be unable to determine what he or she would like the nurse to do in order to help. Telling the patient to get his or her feelings under control is a directive the patient is probably unable to accomplish.