This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient diagnosed with major depression says, No one cares about me anymore. I'm not worth ... (Read 36 times)

karen

A patient diagnosed with major depression says, No one cares about me anymore. I'm not worth anything. Today the patient is wearing a new shirt and has neat, clean hair.

Which remark by the nurse supports building a positive self-esteem for this patient?

a. You look nice this morning.
  b. You're wearing a new shirt.
  c. I like the shirt you are wearing.
  d. You must be feeling better today.

Question 2

A patient became depressed after the last of the family's six children moved out of the home 4 months ago. Select the best initial outcome for the nursing diagnosis Situational low self-esteem related to feelings of abandonment. The patient will:

a. verbalize realistic positive characteristics about self by (date).
  b. agree to take an antidepressant medication regularly by (date).
  c. initiate social interaction with another person daily by (date).
  d. identify two personal behaviors that alienate others by (date).

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

sierrahalpin

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Patients with depression usually see the negative side of things. The meaning of compliments may be altered to I didn't look nice yesterday or They didn't like my other shirt. Neutral comments such as making an observation avoid negative interpretations. Saying, You look nice or I like your shirt gives approval (non-therapeutic techniques). Saying You must be feeling better today is an assumption, which is non-therapeutic.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Low self-esteem is reflected by making consistently negative statements about self and self-worth. Replacing negative cognitions with more realistic appraisals of self is an appropriate intermediate outcome. The incorrect options are not as clearly related to the nursing diagnosis. Outcomes are best when framed positively; identifying two personal behaviors that might alienate others is a negative concept.

karen

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

elyse44

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

The calories found in one piece of cherry cheesecake could light a 60-watt light bulb for 1.5 hours.

Did you know?

More than 30% of American adults, and about 12% of children utilize health care approaches that were developed outside of conventional medicine.

Did you know?

For pediatric patients, intravenous fluids are the most commonly cited products involved in medication errors that are reported to the USP.

Did you know?

The human body's pharmacokinetics are quite varied. Our hair holds onto drugs longer than our urine, blood, or saliva. For example, alcohol can be detected in the hair for up to 90 days after it was consumed. The same is true for marijuana, cocaine, ecstasy, heroin, methamphetamine, and nicotine.

Did you know?

Fungal nail infections account for up to 30% of all skin infections. They affect 5% of the general population—mostly people over the age of 70.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library