This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient's care plan includes monitoring for auditory hallucinations. Which assessment findings ... (Read 52 times)

chandani

A patient's care plan includes monitoring for auditory hallucinations. Which assessment findings suggest the patient may be hallucinating?

a. Detachment and overconfidence
  b. Darting eyes, tilted head, mumbling to self
  c. Euphoric mood, hyperactivity, distractibility
  d. Foot tapping and repeatedly writing the same phrase

Question 2

Which hallucination necessitates the nurse to implement safety measures? The patient says,

a. I hear angels playing harps.
  b. The voices say everyone is trying to kill me.
  c. My dead father tells me I am a good person.
  d. The voices talk only at night when I'm trying to sleep.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Jmfn03

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Clues to hallucinations include eyes looking around the room as though to find the speaker, tilting the head to one side as though listening intently, and grimacing, mumbling, or talking aloud as though responding conversationally to someone.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
The correct response indicates the patient is experiencing paranoia. Paranoia often leads to fearfulness, and the patient may attempt to strike out at others to protect self. The distracters are comforting hallucinations or do not indicate paranoia.

Did you know?

There are immediate benefits of chiropractic adjustments that are visible via magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). It shows that spinal manipulation therapy is effective in decreasing pain and increasing the gaps between the vertebrae, reducing pressure that leads to pain.

Did you know?

Colchicine is a highly poisonous alkaloid originally extracted from a type of saffron plant that is used mainly to treat gout.

Did you know?

Many supplement containers do not even contain what their labels say. There are many documented reports of products containing much less, or more, that what is listed on their labels. They may also contain undisclosed prescription drugs and even contaminants.

Did you know?

The use of salicylates dates back 2,500 years to Hippocrates’s recommendation of willow bark (from which a salicylate is derived) as an aid to the pains of childbirth. However, overdosage of salicylates can harm body fluids, electrolytes, the CNS, the GI tract, the ears, the lungs, the blood, the liver, and the kidneys and cause coma or death.

Did you know?

There are approximately 3 million unintended pregnancies in the United States each year.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library