Author Question: When a patient diagnosed with schizophrenia was discharged 6 months ago, haloperidol (Haldol) was ... (Read 26 times)

mydiamond

When a patient diagnosed with schizophrenia was discharged 6 months ago, haloperidol (Haldol) was prescribed. The patient now says, I stopped taking those pills. They made me feel like a robot.

What are common side effects the nurse should validate with the patient?

a. Sedation and muscle stiffness
  b. Sweating, nausea, and diarrhea
  c. Mild fever, sore throat, and skin rash
  d. Headache, watery eyes, and runny nose

Question 2

A newly admitted patient diagnosed with schizophrenia is hypervigilant and constantly scans the environment. The patient states, I saw two doctors talking in the hall. They were plotting to kill me. The nurse may correctly assess this behavior as:

a. echolalia.
  b. an idea of reference.
  c. a delusion of infidelity.
  d. an auditory hallucination.

emily12345

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Typical antipsychotic drugs often produce sedation and extrapyramidal side effects such as stiffness and gait disturbance, effects the patient might describe as making him or her feel like a robot. The side effects mentioned in the other options are usually not associated with typical antipsychotic therapy or would not have the effect described by the patient.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Ideas of reference are misinterpretations of the verbalizations or actions of others that give special personal meanings to these behaviors; for example, when seeing two people talking, the individual assumes they are talking about him or her. The other terms do not correspond with the scenario.