Author Question: The parent of a child diagnosed with Tourette's disorder says to the nurse, I think my child is ... (Read 27 times)

09madisonrousseau09

The parent of a child diagnosed with Tourette's disorder says to the nurse, I think my child is faking the tics because they come and go. Which response by the nurse is accurate?

a. Perhaps your child was misdiagnosed.
  b. Your observation indicates the medication is effective.
  c. Tics often change frequency or severity. That doesn't mean they aren't real.
  d. This finding is unexpected. How have you been administering your child's medication?

Question 2

Which child demonstrates behaviors indicative of a neurodevelopmental disorder?

a. A 4-year-old who stuttered for 3 weeks after the birth of a sibling
  b. A 9-month-old who does not eat vegetables and likes to be rocked
  c. A 3-month-old who cries after feeding until burped and sucks a thumb
  d. A 3-year-old who is mute, passive toward adults, and twirls while walking

Perkypinki

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Tics are sudden, rapid, involuntary, repetitive movements or vocalizations characteristic of Tourette's disorder. They often fluctuate in frequency, severity, and are reduced or absent during sleep.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Symptoms consistent with autistic spectrum disorders (ASD) are evident in the correct answer. Autistic spectrum disorder is one type of neurodevelopmental disorder. The behaviors of the other children are within normal ranges.