Author Question: A patient tells the nurse, I don't think I'll ever get out of here. Select the nurse's most ... (Read 25 times)

scienceeasy

A patient tells the nurse, I don't think I'll ever get out of here. Select the nurse's most therapeutic response.

a. Don't talk that way. Of course you will leave here
  b. Keep up the good work, and you certainly will.
  c. You don't think you're making progress?
  d. Everyone feels that way sometimes.

Question 2

A patient discloses several concerns and associated feelings. If the nurse wants to seek clarification, which comment would be appropriate?

a. What are the common elements here?
  b. Tell me again about your experiences.
  c. Am I correct in understanding that . . .
  d. Tell me everything from the beginning.

aprice35067

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
By asking if the patient does not believe that progress has been made, the nurse is reflecting by putting into words what the patient is hinting. By making communication more explicit, issues are easier to identify and resolve. The remaining options are non-therapeutic techniques. Telling the patient not to talk that way is disapproving. Saying that everyone feels that way at times minimizes feelings. Telling the patient that good work will always result in success is falsely reassuring.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Asking, Am I correct in understanding that permits clarification to ensure that both the nurse and patient share mutual understanding of the communication. Asking about common elements encourages comparison rather than clarification. The remaining responses are implied questions that suggest the nurse was not listening.