This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A Native American patient describes a difficult childhood and dropping out of high school. The ... (Read 134 times)

Medesa

A Native American patient describes a difficult childhood and dropping out of high school. The patient abused alcohol as a teenager to escape feelings of isolation but stopped 10 years ago. The patient now says, I feel stupid. I've never had a good job.

I don't help my people. Which nursing diagnosis applies?

a. Risk for other-directed violence
  b. Chronic low self-esteem
  c. Deficient knowledge
  d. Social isolation

Question 2

A Native American patient sadly describes a difficult childhood. The patient abused alcohol as a teenager but stopped 10 years ago. The patient now says, I feel stupid and good for nothing. I don't help my people.

How should the treatment team focus planning for this patient?

a. Psychopharmacologic al and somatic therapies should be central techniques.
  b. Apply a psychoanalytic approach, focused on childhood trauma.
  c. Depression and alcohol abuse should be treated concurrently.
  d. Use a holistic approach, including mind, body, and spirit.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

cam1229

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
The patient has given several indications of chronic low self-esteem. Forming a positive self-image is often difficult for Native American individuals because these indigenous people must blend together both American and Native American worldviews. No defining characteristics are present for the other nursing diagnoses.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Native Americans, because of their beliefs in the interrelatedness of parts and about being in harmony with nature, respond best to a holistic approach. No data are present to support dual diagnosis, because the patient has resolved the problem of excessive alcohol use. Psychopharmacologic al and somatic therapies may be part of the treatment, but the focus should be more holistic. Psychoanalysis is a long-term expensive therapy; cognitive therapy might be a better choice.

Medesa

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Gracias!

chereeb

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Aspirin is the most widely used drug in the world. It has even been recognized as such by the Guinness Book of World Records.

Did you know?

Never take aspirin without food because it is likely to irritate your stomach. Never give aspirin to children under age 12. Overdoses of aspirin have the potential to cause deafness.

Did you know?

There are 60,000 miles of blood vessels in every adult human.

Did you know?

Elderly adults are living longer, and causes of death are shifting. At the same time, autopsy rates are at or near their lowest in history.

Did you know?

Anti-aging claims should not ever be believed. There is no supplement, medication, or any other substance that has been proven to slow or stop the aging process.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library