Author Question: A psychotherapist works with an anxious, dependent patient. Which strategy is most consistent with ... (Read 17 times)

ENagel

A psychotherapist works with an anxious, dependent patient. Which strategy is most consistent with psychoanalytic psychotherapy?

a. Identifying the patient's strengths and assets
  b. Praising the patient for describing feelings of isolation
  c. Focusing on feelings developed by the patient toward the therapist
  d. Providing psychoeducation and emphasizing medication adherence

Question 2

A person says, I was the only survivor in a small plane crash. Three business associates died. I got depressed and saw a counselor twice a week for 4 weeks.

We talked about my feelings related to being a survivor, and I'm better now. Which type of therapy was used?

a. Milieu therapy
  b. Psychoanalysis
  c. Behavior modification
  d. Interpersonal psychotherapy

lorealeza

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Positive or negative feelings of the patient toward the therapist indicate transference. Transference is a psychoanalytic concept that can be used to explore previously unresolved conflicts. The distracters relate to biological therapy and supportive psychotherapy. Use of psychoeducational materials is a common homework assignment used in cognitive therapy.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Interpersonal psychotherapy returned the patient to his former level of functioning by helping him come to terms with the loss of friends and guilt over being a survivor. Milieu therapy refers to environmental therapy. Psychoanalysis would call for a long period of exploration of unconscious material. Behavior modification would focus on changing a behavior rather than helping the patient understand what is going on in his life.