This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which assessment finding most clearly indicates that a patient may be experiencing a mental illness? ... (Read 125 times)

nautica902

Which assessment finding most clearly indicates that a patient may be experiencing a mental illness? The patient:

a. reports occasional sleeplessness and anxiety.
  b. reports a consistently sad, discouraged, and hopeless mood.
  c. is able to describe the difference between as if and for real.
  d. perceives difficulty making a decision about whether to change jobs.

Question 2

Which comment best indicates that a patient perceived the nurse was caring? My nurse:

a. always asks me which type of juice I want to help me swallow my medication.
  b. explained my treatment plan to me and asked for my ideas about how to make it better.
  c. spends time listening to me talk about my problems. That helps me feel like I am not alone.
  d. told me that if I take all the medicines the doctor prescribes, then I will get discharged sooner.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

huda

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
The correct response describes a mood alteration, which reflects mental illness. The distracters describe behaviors that are mentally healthy or within the usual scope of human experience.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Caring evidences empathetic understanding as well as competency. It helps change pain and suffering into a shared experience, creating a human connection that alleviates feelings of isolation. The distracters give examples of statements that demonstrate advocacy or giving advice.

Did you know?

In 2012, nearly 24 milliion Americans, aged 12 and older, had abused an illicit drug, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA).

Did you know?

Limit intake of red meat and dairy products made with whole milk. Choose skim milk, low-fat or fat-free dairy products. Limit fried food. Use healthy oils when cooking.

Did you know?

Street names for barbiturates include reds, red devils, yellow jackets, blue heavens, Christmas trees, and rainbows. They are commonly referred to as downers.

Did you know?

Stroke kills people from all ethnic backgrounds, but the people at highest risk for fatal strokes are: black men, black women, Asian men, white men, and white women.

Did you know?

In the United States, an estimated 50 million unnecessary antibiotics are prescribed for viral respiratory infections.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library