Author Question: A client with a delusional disorder has been undergoing individual psychotherapy. The therapy would ... (Read 80 times)

A client with a delusional disorder has been undergoing individual psychotherapy. The therapy would be deemed ultimately successful when the client meets which of the following outcomes?

A) The client will identify alternatives to present coping patterns.
  B) The client will describe problems relating to others.
  C) The client will identify situations that evoke anxiety.
  D) The client will differentiate between reality and fantasy.

Question 2

A client with a persecutory delusion has been explaining to the nurse the specifics of the conspiracy against her. She pauses and says, I get the feeling that you don't actually believe that what I'm telling you is true. How should the nurse respond?

A) No, I don't believe that what you're explaining is actually happening.
  B) What's important to me is that it's real for you.
  C) The conspiracy that you're explaining to me is actually a delusion.
  D) What makes you think that I don't believe you?

Dinolord

Answer to Question 1

Ans: D
The ultimate goal of all forms of treatment for clients with delusional disorders is to foster the ability to distinguish between fantasy and reality. Promoting healthy coping, anxiety awareness, and healthy relationships are therapeutic outcomes, but the priority in treatment is the delusional thinking itself.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: A
While an empathic approach is crucial when interacting with persons who have a delusional disorder, this does not involve expressing or implying that you believe the person's delusions are real. If confronted by the client on this fact, this is best stated clearly.