Author Question: A nurse begins the intake assessment of a client diagnosed with bipolar I disorder. The client ... (Read 29 times)

savannahhooper

A nurse begins the intake assessment of a client diagnosed with bipolar I disorder. The client shouts, You can't do this to me. Do you know who I am? Which is the priority nursing action in this situation?

A. To provide self and client with a safe environment
  B. To redirect the client to the needed assessment information
  C. To provide high-calorie finger foods to meet nutritional needs
  D. To reorient the client to person, place, time, and situation

Question 2

A client diagnosed with bipolar I disorder: manic episode refuses to take lithium carbonate because he complains that it makes him feel sick. Which of the following medications might be alternatively prescribed for mood stabilization in bipolar disorders?

A. Sertraline (Zoloft)
  B. Valproic acid (Depakote)
  C. Trazodone (Desyrel)
  D. Paroxetine (Paxil)

epscape

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
During a manic episode the client's mood is elevated, expansive, and irritable. Providing a safe environment should be prioritized to protect the client and staff from potential injury.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Although lithium is a prototype drug in the treatment of bipolar disorders, anticonvulsants such as valproic acid also have demonstrated efficacy for mood stabilization.