This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client states, I hear voices that tell me that I am evil. Which outcome related to these symptoms ... (Read 19 times)

ap345

A client states, I hear voices that tell me that I am evil. Which outcome related to these symptoms should the nurse expect this client to accomplish by discharge?

A. The client will verbalize the reason the voices make derogatory statements.
  B. The client will not hear auditory hallucinations.
  C. The client will identify events that increase anxiety and illicit hallucinations.
  D. The client will positively integrate the voices into the client's personality structure.

Question 2

A newly admitted client has taken thioridazine (Mellaril) for 2 years, with good symptom control. Symptoms exhibited on admission included paranoia and hallucinations. The nurse should recognize which potential cause for the return of these symptoms?

A. The client has developed tolerance to the antipsychotic medication.
  B. The client has not taken the medication with food.
  C. The client has not taken the medication as prescribed.
  D. The client has combined alcohol with the medication.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Missbam101

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
It is unrealistic to expect the client to completely stop hearing voices. Even when compliant with antipsychotic medications, clients may still hear voices. It would be realistic to expect the client to associate stressful events with an increase in auditory hallucinations. By this recognition the client can anticipate symptoms and initiate appropriate coping skills.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Altered thinking can affect a client's insight into the necessity for taking antipsychotic medications consistently. When symptoms are no longer bothersome, clients may stop taking medications that cause disturbing side effects. Clients may miss the connection between taking the medications and an improved symptom profile.

ap345

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

marict

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Not getting enough sleep can greatly weaken the immune system. Lack of sleep makes you more likely to catch a cold, or more difficult to fight off an infection.

Did you know?

A serious new warning has been established for pregnant women against taking ACE inhibitors during pregnancy. In the study, the risk of major birth defects in children whose mothers took ACE inhibitors during the first trimester was nearly three times higher than in children whose mothers didn't take ACE inhibitors. Physicians can prescribe alternative medications for pregnant women who have symptoms of high blood pressure.

Did you know?

On average, someone in the United States has a stroke about every 40 seconds. This is about 795,000 people per year.

Did you know?

The average adult has about 21 square feet of skin.

Did you know?

As of mid-2016, 18.2 million people were receiving advanced retroviral therapy (ART) worldwide. This represents between 43–50% of the 34–39.8 million people living with HIV.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library