Author Question: A client tells the nurse, I feel bad because my mother does not want me to return home after I leave ... (Read 88 times)

nramada

A client tells the nurse, I feel bad because my mother does not want me to return home after I leave the hospital. Which nursing response is therapeutic?

A. It's quite common for clients to feel that way after a lengthy hospitalization.
  B. Why don't you talk to your mother? You may find out she doesn't feel that way.
  C. Your mother seems like an understanding person. I'll help you approach her.
  D. You feel that your mother does not want you to come back home?

Question 2

A client's younger daughter is ignoring curfew. The client states, I'm afraid she will get pregnant. The nurse responds, Hang in there. Don't you think she has a lot to learn about life? This is an example of which communication block?

A. Requesting an explanation
  B. Belittling the client
  C. Making stereotyped comments
  D. Probing

JCABRERA33

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
This is an example of the therapeutic communication technique of restatement. Restatement is the repeating of the main idea that the client has verbalized. This lets the client know whether or not an expressed statement has been understood and gives him or her the chance to continue, or clarify if necessary.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
This is an example of the nontherapeutic communication block of making stereotyped comments. Clichs and trite expressions are meaningless in a therapeutic nurseclient relationship.