Author Question: Which client statement indicates that termination of the therapeutic nurseclient relationship has ... (Read 24 times)

maegan_martin

Which client statement indicates that termination of the therapeutic nurseclient relationship has been handled successfully?

A. I know I can count on you for continued support.
  B. I am looking forward to discharge, but I am surprised that we will no longer work together.
  C. Reviewing the changes that have happened during our time together has helped me put things in perspective.
  D. I don't know how comfortable I will feel when talking to someone else.

Question 2

Which therapeutic communication technique is being used in this nurseclient interaction?

Client: When I get angry, I get into a fistfight with my wife or I take it out on the kids.
  Nurse: I notice that you are smiling as you talk about this physical violence.

A. Encouraging comparison
  B. Exploring
  C. Formulating a plan of action
  D. Making observations

spencer.martell

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Termination should begin in the orientation phase to minimize feelings of loss when the nurseclient relationship ends. Bringing a therapeutic conclusion to the relationship occurs when progress has been made toward attainment of mutually set goals.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
The nurse is using the therapeutic communication technique of making observations when noting that the client smiles when talking about physical violence. The technique of making observations encourages the client to compare personal perceptions with those of the nurse.