This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient diagnosed with depression tells the nurse, I've been supplementing my paroxetine (Paxil) ... (Read 36 times)

rosent76

A patient diagnosed with depression tells the nurse, I've been supplementing my paroxetine (Paxil) with St. John's wort, and it has helped a great deal. What is the nurse's priority action?

a. Assess changes in the patient's level of depression.
  b. Remind the patient to use a secondary form of birth control.
  c. Educate the patient about the risks of serotonin syndrome.
  d. Suggest adding valerian to the treatment regimen to further improve results.

Question 2

A neighbor asks a nurse, Are there any resources that would help me get reliable information about alternative and complementary therapies? Which resource should the nurse recommend?

a. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine
  b. American Psychiatric Association
  c. American Medical Association
  d. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

nekcihc358

Answer to Question 1

C
Research has suggested that St. John's wort inhibits serotonin reuptake by elevating extracellular sodium; thus it may interact with medication, particularly selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, to produce serotonin syndrome. Discussing the patient's birth control method is a secondary priority.

Answer to Question 2

A
The National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, a part of the National Institutes of Health, has responsibility for providing information to the public regarding the safety and efficacy of alternative therapies and for funding research for these therapies. The other options would be inappropriate to recommend.

Did you know?

The first successful kidney transplant was performed in 1954 and occurred in Boston. A kidney from an identical twin was transplanted into his dying brother's body and was not rejected because it did not appear foreign to his body.

Did you know?

The calories found in one piece of cherry cheesecake could light a 60-watt light bulb for 1.5 hours.

Did you know?

The training of an anesthesiologist typically requires four years of college, 4 years of medical school, 1 year of internship, and 3 years of residency.

Did you know?

Hippocrates noted that blood separates into four differently colored liquids when removed from the body and examined: a pure red liquid mixed with white liquid material with a yellow-colored froth at the top and a black substance that settles underneath; he named these the four humors (for blood, phlegm, yellow bile, and black bile).

Did you know?

As many as 20% of Americans have been infected by the fungus known as Histoplasmosis. While most people are asymptomatic or only have slight symptoms, infection can progress to a rapid and potentially fatal superinfection.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library