This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient displays disorganized speech and behavior as well as a flat affect. The patient prefers to ... (Read 191 times)

EY67

A patient displays disorganized speech and behavior as well as a flat affect. The patient prefers to sit alone and often appears to be listening and responding to unseen stimuli. To begin a therapeutic relationship, the nurse should

a. take the patient to a medication education class.
  b. offer a simple activity, and sit with the patient.
  c. ask the patient what the voices are saying.
  d. quietly watch television with the patient.

Question 2

A patient asks, I want to consult an herbalist. What should I do to make sure I don't get some impostor? The nurse should advise the patient to first ask the provider

a. How much will treatments cost?
  b. Have you treated this condition before?
  c. Do the treatments pose any dangers to me?
  d. What group has certified you in this practice?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

duy1981999

Answer to Question 1

B
For withdrawn patients, nurses should begin with undemanding one-to-one interactions. Providing a simple activity might help the patient focus on the here and now and provide a basis for reality-oriented communication. Watching television together does nothing to build trust. Medication education might be of little benefit if the patient is hallucinating and unable to pay attention to what is being taught. Asking what the voices are saying time after time is not beneficial to the patient, who needs to be distracted from them and focus on the real world.

Answer to Question 2

D
The priority question is whether the individual is credentialed to practice via license or certification. Either credential suggests, but does not guarantee, some degree of knowledge and competence. The other questions are reasonable to ask but are not as fundamental.

EY67

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

kusterl

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

The ratio of hydrogen atoms to oxygen in water (H2O) is 2:1.

Did you know?

Amphetamine poisoning can cause intravascular coagulation, circulatory collapse, rhabdomyolysis, ischemic colitis, acute psychosis, hyperthermia, respiratory distress syndrome, and pericarditis.

Did you know?

Women are 50% to 75% more likely than men to experience an adverse drug reaction.

Did you know?

In 1835 it was discovered that a disease of silkworms known as muscardine could be transferred from one silkworm to another, and was caused by a fungus.

Did you know?

In 1864, the first barbiturate (barbituric acid) was synthesized.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library