This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient diagnosed with bipolar disorder asks the nurse, Why can't I take my lithium just once a ... (Read 35 times)

awywial

A patient diagnosed with bipolar disorder asks the nurse, Why can't I take my lithium just once a day at bedtime? It's hard to remember to take it three times. The nurse's reply should be based on what information?

a. The half-life of lithium is short.
  b. Renal excretion is greater at night.
  c. GI absorption is diminished at night.
  d. The toxicity potential increases with once-a-day dosing.

Question 2

A patient being treated at the mental health center says, I am having thoughts about suicide. Select the nurse's most therapeutic response.

a. Thank you for telling me, but there's nothing to worry about. We will handle it together.
  b. Telling me about these feelings is a very positive action on your part.
  c. It's important for you to be hospitalized as soon as possible.
  d. Let's talk about the things you have to live for.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

diana chang

Answer to Question 1

A
Lithium has a short half-life, high toxicity, and rapid renal excretion, so multiple daily doses are required. The other statements are incorrect or are not factors considered in dosing.

Answer to Question 2

B
This response gives the patient reinforcement and validation for making a positive response rather than acting out a suicidal impulse. It gives neither advice nor false reassurance, and it does not imply stereotypes such as You have a lot to live for. It uses the patient's ambivalence and sets the stage for more realistic problem solving.

awywial

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
:D TYSM

covalentbond

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

More than one-third of adult Americans are obese. Diseases that kill the largest number of people annually, such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, stroke, and hypertension, can be attributed to diet.

Did you know?

Amoebae are the simplest type of protozoans, and are characterized by a feeding and dividing trophozoite stage that moves by temporary extensions called pseudopodia or false feet.

Did you know?

The most dangerous mercury compound, dimethyl mercury, is so toxic that even a few microliters spilled on the skin can cause death. Mercury has been shown to accumulate in higher amounts in the following types of fish than other types: swordfish, shark, mackerel, tilefish, crab, and tuna.

Did you know?

No drugs are available to relieve parathyroid disease. Parathyroid disease is caused by a parathyroid tumor, and it needs to be removed by surgery.

Did you know?

Bisphosphonates were first developed in the nineteenth century. They were first investigated for use in disorders of bone metabolism in the 1960s. They are now used clinically for the treatment of osteoporosis, Paget's disease, bone metastasis, multiple myeloma, and other conditions that feature bone fragility.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library