Author Question: Which nursing action best supports maintenance of a therapeutic environment? a. Creating ... (Read 15 times)

KimWrice

Which nursing action best supports maintenance of a therapeutic environment?

a. Creating therapeutic relationships with patients
  b. Providing purposeful structured activities
  c. Maintaining patient records and care plans
  d. Administering medication

Question 2

Four nurses describe their unit environments. Which description can most clearly be identified as therapeutic?

a. My unit uses behavior modification to enhance patients' social skills.
  b. My unit allows patients to test new behaviors in a secure environment.
  c. My unit helps patients deal with childhood issues by providing a safe setting.
  d. My unit allows patients to deal with personal issues without interpersonal stressors.

ilianabrrr

Answer to Question 1

A
A therapeutic environment requires nurses to be active and willing to engage in therapeutic relationships with patients. These relationships support patients' development of coping and problem-solving skills. Maintaining records, administering medications, and providing activities are important in the therapeutic environment, but to a lesser extent than meaningful nursepatient interactions.

Answer to Question 2

B
The unit described in the correct answer provides a broad therapeutic focus for providing corrective experiences that helps patients recover. The distracters are too narrow in their therapeutic scope.