This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient scheduled to attend various group sessions complains, I'm really mad about having to ... (Read 38 times)

Brittanyd9008

A patient scheduled to attend various group sessions complains, I'm really mad about having to attend all those groups. No one else spends all day in a circle in a little room. Select the nurse's best response.

a. Why are you upset?
  b. I can hear that you are upset. Let's talk about it.
  c. Just go along with the plan, even if you do not agree.
  d. The groups are carefully planned by staff to benefit patients.

Question 2

A nurse leads a psychoeducational group for patients diagnosed with residual schizophreni

a. A realistic outcome for group members is that they will:
  a. discuss ways to manage their illness.
  b. develop a high level of trust and cohesiveness.
  c. understand unconscious motivation for behavior.
  d. demonstrate insight about development of their illness.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Gabe

Answer to Question 1

B
This remark exemplifies therapeutic listening. It acknowledges the patient's negative feelings and the nurse's willingness to listen as the patient offers his concerns. It implies a willingness to assist with problem solving. Why questions are not therapeutic, because they often elicit rationalization. Justification is defensive and closes off communication.

Answer to Question 2

A
Patients with residual schizophrenia almost universally have problems associated with everyday living in the community, so discussing ways to manage the illness would be an important aspect of psychoeducation. Discussing concerns about daily life would be a goal to which each could relate. Developing trust and cohesion is desirable but is not the priority outcome of a psychoeducational group. Understanding unconscious motivation would not be addressed. Insight would be difficult for a patient with residual schizophrenia because of the tendency toward concrete thinking.

Brittanyd9008

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
:D TYSM

diana chang

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Cytomegalovirus affects nearly the same amount of newborns every year as Down syndrome.

Did you know?

There can actually be a 25-hour time difference between certain locations in the world. The International Date Line passes between the islands of Samoa and American Samoa. It is not a straight line, but "zig-zags" around various island chains. Therefore, Samoa and nearby islands have one date, while American Samoa and nearby islands are one day behind. Daylight saving time is used in some islands, but not in others—further shifting the hours out of sync with natural time.

Did you know?

Prostaglandins were first isolated from human semen in Sweden in the 1930s. They were so named because the researcher thought that they came from the prostate gland. In fact, prostaglandins exist and are synthesized in almost every cell of the body.

Did you know?

Common abbreviations that cause medication errors include U (unit), mg (milligram), QD (every day), SC (subcutaneous), TIW (three times per week), D/C (discharge or discontinue), HS (at bedtime or "hours of sleep"), cc (cubic centimeters), and AU (each ear).

Did you know?

Patients who have been on total parenteral nutrition for more than a few days may need to have foods gradually reintroduced to give the digestive tract time to start working again.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library