Author Question: A parent said, My child had mal ojo, so I did not give her the medicine for an ear infection The ... (Read 11 times)

erika

A parent said, My child had mal ojo, so I did not give her the medicine for an ear infection

The nursing diagnosis of noncompliance was documented by the nurse who saw the child last. A culturally competent nurse would analyze that the situation occurred because of:
  a. lack of knowledge of therapeutic regimen.
  b. differences in perceptions of how illness occurs.
  c. evidence of unconscious hostility toward the child.
  d. a misunderstanding about the communicability of microbes.

Question 2

Put these services in order from least to most intensive.

a. Day treatment
  b. Hospitalization
  c. Scheduled visits at a community mental health center

pangili4

Answer to Question 1

B
A parent who believes that his or her child's illness is the result of a spell cast on him or her will not understand the need for giving the child medication on a regular basis for several days. Diagnosing noncompliance will not help resolve the problem. Cultural negotiation and repatterning will be necessary. The other options do not present viable explanations.

Answer to Question 2

A, B, C
The continuum of care represents treatment services along a range of intensity. Hospitalization is the most intensive, progressing to day treatment, and finally to routine visits at a community mental health center.