This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A Hispanic patient says, I have no energy and cannot eat I want to sleep but can't, because pain ... (Read 22 times)

wrbasek0

A Hispanic patient says, I have no energy and cannot eat

I want to sleep but can't, because pain moves around different parts of my body. A physical examination reveals no pathology. The nurse should hypothesize that the patient may be experiencing:
  a. lost soul (susto).
  b. spiritual distress.
  c. a broken heart.
  d. amok.

Question 2

A nurse tells a patient, I know how you feel. My spouse can be very insensitive too. I am also considering divorce. Analysis suggests that the nurse is

a. self-disclosing inappropriately.
  b. experiencing countertransference .
  c. using empathy to establish trust with the patient.
  d. encouraging the patient to express negative feelings.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

anoriega3

Answer to Question 1

A
Loss of one's soul, a culture-bound illness occasionally seen among Hispanic individuals, produces vague symptoms such as those described. Western medicine regards these as depressive symptoms, but individuals with lost soul speak only of physical symptoms, rather than psychological or emotional disequilibrium. The other options are culture-bound disorders with symptoms different from what is described in this scenario.

Answer to Question 2

A
Brief self-disclosure is used to help the patient clarify specific issues, to feel less vulnerable, or to feel more normal. When used appropriately, self-disclosure benefits the patient. When used inappropriately, it benefits the nurse. In this case, the self-disclosure burdens the patient with the nurse's problems. Empathy focuses on the patient. Countertransference would result in different behaviors. Encouraging expression of negative feelings would be more direct.

wrbasek0

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Wow, this really help

AmberC1996

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

In 1835 it was discovered that a disease of silkworms known as muscardine could be transferred from one silkworm to another, and was caused by a fungus.

Did you know?

When Gabriel Fahrenheit invented the first mercury thermometer, he called "zero degrees" the lowest temperature he was able to attain with a mixture of ice and salt. For the upper point of his scale, he used 96°, which he measured as normal human body temperature (we know it to be 98.6° today because of more accurate thermometers).

Did you know?

Normal urine is sterile. It contains fluids, salts, and waste products. It is free of bacteria, viruses, and fungi.

Did you know?

Before a vaccine is licensed in the USA, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reviews it for safety and effectiveness. The CDC then reviews all studies again, as well as the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Family Physicians. Every lot of vaccine is tested before administration to the public, and the FDA regularly inspects vaccine manufacturers' facilities.

Did you know?

Pink eye is a term that refers to conjunctivitis, which is inflammation of the thin, clear membrane (conjunctiva) over the white part of the eye (sclera). It may be triggered by a virus, bacteria, or foreign body in the eye. Antibiotic eye drops alleviate bacterial conjunctivitis, and antihistamine allergy pills or eye drops help control allergic conjunctivitis symptoms.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library