Author Question: Which skill is most important for a nurse preparing to work in the psychiatric setting? a. ... (Read 14 times)

Yolanda

Which skill is most important for a nurse preparing to work in the psychiatric setting?

a. Helpful transference
  b. Sympathetic listening
  c. Supportive confrontation
  d. Therapeutic communication

Question 2

A patient says, I know I need religion in my life, but I don't know how to find God. I feel I have been abandoned. The nurse should assess for a childhood history of

a. recurrent losses.
  b. overindulgence.
  c. lack of nurturing.
  d. poor school performance.

dominiqueenicolee

Answer to Question 1

D
Therapeutic communication provides the basis for effective use of each stage of the nursing process, as explained by the authors. The other options are skills basic to effective use of the nursing process.

Answer to Question 2

C
Loder has hypothesized that early developmental experiences set the stage for later spiritual dynamics. Inadequate nurturing may result in lack of establishment of trust. Later, spiritual issues of abandonment and shame might surface. None of the other options have been advanced as explanations for feelings of abandonment by God.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

Although not all of the following muscle groups are commonly used, intramuscular injections may be given into the abdominals, biceps, calves, deltoids, gluteals, laterals, pectorals, quadriceps, trapezoids, and triceps.

Did you know?

The first-known contraceptive was crocodile dung, used in Egypt in 2000 BC. Condoms were also reportedly used, made of animal bladders or intestines.

Did you know?

Once thought to have neurofibromatosis, Joseph Merrick (also known as "the elephant man") is now, in retrospect, thought by clinical experts to have had Proteus syndrome. This endocrine disease causes continued and abnormal growth of the bones, muscles, skin, and so on and can become completely debilitating with severe deformities occurring anywhere on the body.

Did you know?

In the United States, congenital cytomegalovirus causes one child to become disabled almost every hour. CMV is the leading preventable viral cause of development disability in newborns. These disabilities include hearing or vision loss, and cerebral palsy.

Did you know?

Addicts to opiates often avoid treatment because they are afraid of withdrawal. Though unpleasant, with proper management, withdrawal is rarely fatal and passes relatively quickly.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library