This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is caring for a patient who is verbally aggressive. What is the nurse's best response to ... (Read 29 times)

Bob-Dole

The nurse is caring for a patient who is verbally aggressive. What is the nurse's best response to the patient's behavior?

1. Why are you so mad at me?
  2. This behavior is unacceptable. I am here to help you.
  3. If you continue with this behavior, I will have to restrain you.
  4. I am going to call your health care provider for medication to calm you down.

Question 2

The nurse is working in the emergency department (ED) of a local hospital. Which response by a patient or family member would alert the nurse to the greatest risk for displaying aggression?

1. My brother is in a lot of pain and can't get comfortable.
  2. I am worried about my husband's condition after his heart attack.
  3. I am nervous about the upcoming surgery to repair my broken arm.
  4. My mother is very short of breath but the medication seems to be helping.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

beccamahon

Answer to Question 1

Answer: 2
Explanation: Nurses must convey a sense of confidence and competence in their ability to provide care. This can be difficult in situations in which a patient becomes angry and hostile. However, it is important for the patient to see staff as composed and able to provide support and care, despite difficult behaviors that arise. The nurse is displaying confidence when stating, This behavior is unacceptable. I am here to help you. This statement sets boundaries between the nurse and patient, as well as using techniques of therapeutic communication. Asking the patient why the patient is mad at the nurse does not convey confidence. The other answer choices are threatening, inappropriate, and do not reflect confidence in the nurse's ability to care for the patient.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: 1
Explanation: Emergency departments (ED) are susceptible to violence by patients, visitors, and family members. Factors that increase the risk for violence include treatment of conditions such as anxiety, long wait times, and painful procedures. The individual whose brother in a lot of pain is at greatest risk for displaying aggression. The spouse who is concerned about the patient's condition is not at an increased risk for aggression. The patient who is nervous or apprehensive about an upcoming surgical procedure is not at an increased risk for aggression.

Bob-Dole

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Excellent

dreamfighter72

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Signs and symptoms of a drug overdose include losing consciousness, fever or sweating, breathing problems, abnormal pulse, and changes in skin color.

Did you know?

The Food and Drug Administration has approved Risperdal, an adult antipsychotic drug, for the symptomatic treatment of irritability in children and adolescents with autism. The approval is the first for the use of a drug to treat behaviors associated with autism in children. These behaviors are included under the general heading of irritability and include aggression, deliberate self-injury, and temper tantrums.

Did you know?

People with high total cholesterol have about two times the risk for heart disease as people with ideal levels.

Did you know?

Hyperthyroidism leads to an increased rate of metabolism and affects about 1% of women but only 0.1% of men. For most people, this increased metabolic rate causes the thyroid gland to become enlarged (known as a goiter).

Did you know?

In 2010, opiate painkllers, such as morphine, OxyContin®, and Vicodin®, were tied to almost 60% of drug overdose deaths.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library