Author Question: The nurse is caring for a patient with schizotypal personality disorder. The nurse anticipates ... (Read 40 times)

@Brianna17

The nurse is caring for a patient with schizotypal personality disorder. The nurse anticipates providing patient education regarding which type of medication?

1. Typical antipsychotic
  2. Atypical antipsychotic
  3. Tricyclic antidepressant
  4. Mood stabilizer

Question 2

The nurse is assessing a patient who has come to the mental health clinic complaining that inability to focus at work is making it difficult to keep a job. The nurse observes that the patient has cuts along the arms that are in various stages of healing.

Which statements by the patient indicate that the patient may need to be evaluated for borderline personality disorder? Select all that apply.
  1. My grades and work performance have always been erratic.
  2. I often drink alcohol to relieve stress.
  3. It's hard to maintain friendships. People seem to get tired of me.
  4. I get bored really easily.
  5. I get so anxious sometimes, I feel like I can't breathe.

kingdude89

Answer to Question 1

Answer: 1
Explanation: Patients who have schizotypal personality disorder are best treated with typical antipsychotics. It is thought that a dopamine dysregulation is a primary cause of the psychotic symptoms these patients experience. It is for this reason that typical antipsychotics work best for these patients. Atypical antipsychotics work best for patients with Cluster B disorders, specifically borderline personality disorder. Tricyclic antidepressants are helpful in treating emotional dysregulation; however, these medications increase the lethality of suicide attempts due to their cardiotoxicity. Mood stabilizers work best for patients experiencing emotional dysregulation.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: 1, 2, 3
Explanation: Borderline personality disorder can have significant impact on functioning. Difficulty maintaining a job, erratic behaviors or performance at work or school, self-injurious behavior, using alcohol or drugs as coping mechanisms, and difficulty maintaining relationships because friends and family tire of the individual's behavior are indicative of personality disorder. A low tolerance for boredom is associated with antisocial personality disorder. An individual with any mental illness may experience severe or panic levels of anxiety.