This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse notes cigarette burns on the back of an adolescent patient while providing routine care. ... (Read 8 times)

humphriesbr@me.com

The nurse notes cigarette burns on the back of an adolescent patient while providing routine care. After initial hesitation, the patient tells the nurse that her mother burns her when she is bad. The patient then begs the nurse not to tell any

What is the appropriate statement by the nurse?
  1. Don't worry, I won't break your confidence.
  2. I have to tell or I'll get in big trouble myself.
  3. I'm sorry, but it is my responsibility to report that your mother is burning you with a cigarette.
  4. OK, but can I get your permission to tell your doctor this is happening?

Question 2

Which action by the nurse manager best reflects the element of support in the empowered workplace?

1. Involving the staff in evaluating patient outcomes
  2. Providing the staff with frequent and timely feedback on their performance
  3. Advocating for appropriate staffing ratios based on patient acuity and mix of staff
  4. Informing the staff that the hospital will be undergoing some administrative changes soon

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

morganmarie791

Answer to Question 1

Answer: 3
Explanation: In most states, nurses are mandated reporters for cases of abuse of both children and older adults. There are substantial penalties for failing to report. Therefore, the nurse cannot assure the patient that she won't report the abuse. It is not sufficient to tell the doctor only, and the nurse does not need to get the adolescent's consent in this case. Telling the patient that the nurse will get in trouble is not the best way to foster a therapeutic relationship with the child, in part because it puts the focus on the nurse and not the patient. Gently letting the patient know that the nurse will need to report the abuse and following protocol early is the best response.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: 2
Explanation: Providing feedback in an ongoing fashion is supportive of an empowered environment. When the manager alerts staff of changes, he is providing information. By advocating for appropriate staffing, he is utilizing resources to effect. When involving staff in evaluating patient outcomes, he is demonstrating opportunities.

humphriesbr@me.com

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Gracias!

sultansheikh

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

The use of salicylates dates back 2,500 years to Hippocrates’s recommendation of willow bark (from which a salicylate is derived) as an aid to the pains of childbirth. However, overdosage of salicylates can harm body fluids, electrolytes, the CNS, the GI tract, the ears, the lungs, the blood, the liver, and the kidneys and cause coma or death.

Did you know?

More than 2,500 barbiturates have been synthesized. At the height of their popularity, about 50 were marketed for human use.

Did you know?

Nearly all drugs pass into human breast milk. How often a drug is taken influences the amount of drug that will pass into the milk. Medications taken 30 to 60 minutes before breastfeeding are likely to be at peak blood levels when the baby is nursing.

Did you know?

The use of salicylates dates back 2,500 years to Hippocrates's recommendation of willow bark (from which a salicylate is derived) as an aid to the pains of childbirth. However, overdosage of salicylates can harm body fluids, electrolytes, the CNS, the GI tract, the ears, the lungs, the blood, the liver, and the kidneys and cause coma or death.

Did you know?

Long-term mental and physical effects from substance abuse include: paranoia, psychosis, immune deficiencies, and organ damage.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library