Author Question: The nurse is caring for a patient with bipolar disorder. The patient tells the nurse, I don't know ... (Read 27 times)

RYAN BANYAN

The nurse is caring for a patient with bipolar disorder. The patient tells the nurse, I don't know why God gave me this disease. It is so tough to deal with this condition. What is the nurse's best response?

1. You mentioned God. Do you have a religion that you follow?
  2. You're right, it is tough. Try to remember that God only gives you what you can handle.
  3. You mentioned God. Is your faith something that is important to you when dealing with your illness?
  4. You're right, it is hard to deal with your condition. Perhaps joining a support group would help you.

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a patient who has suicidal ideations. The patient tells the nurse, My boyfriend told the cops that I was planning to kill myself. That's why I'm in the hospital. What is the nurse's best response?

1. Do you feel you need to be in the hospital?
  2. Your boyfriend must love you very much, right?
  3. Your boyfriend thought you were planning to kill yourself?
  4. Do you think your boyfriend meant well by telling the police you were planning to kill yourself?

cadimas

Answer to Question 1

Answer: 3
Explanation: The nurse should clarify the patient's importance of faith by using the word tough, which the patient also used. The nurse should not tell the patient that God only gives the patient what he or she can handle. This is an example of the nurse projecting his or her own faith on the patient, which is inappropriate and non-therapeutic. While joining a support group may be beneficial for the patient, this is not the most appropriate response because it does not address the patient's immediate spiritual concerns. Asking if the patient follows a religion is not beneficial to the patient at this time because it does not elicit a thorough response from the patient and does not address the patient's immediate spiritual concerns.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: 3
Explanation: In order to elicit a thorough response from the patient and to receive clarification, the nurse should mirror the patient's statement. Asking if the patient feels the need to be in the hospital is not therapeutic and does elicit a thorough response because it is a closed-ended question. Asking the patient if the boyfriend meant well or if the boyfriend loves the patient is not essential to the patient's treatment and current state of mind.