This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Your patient Vicky just received a diagnosis of terminal cancer. You plan to speak to her about her ... (Read 143 times)

tth

Your patient Vicky just received a diagnosis of terminal cancer. You plan to speak to her about her response to the diagnosis.. When you reach her room, you find Vicky on the phone.

As you're standing in the doorway, she starts laughing. You are startled when she states, Why are you looking so sad? Obviously the tests were wrong. I am not that sick. The patient is displaying:
  A.
  Transference.
  B.
  Regression.
  C.
  Denial.
  D.
  Isolation.

Question 2

Karen Ann, a patient on the mental health unit, is in the bathroom with the door locked. She was admitted to the unit as a result of her psychotic behavior.

The mental health nurse is asking her to come out and take her medication. The patient responds by stating, There is nothing wrong with my behavior. I don't need any medication. I don't know why everyone is so upset. Her response indicates that the defense mechanism being used is:
  A.
  Denial.
  B.
  Obsession.
  C.
  Displacement.
  D.
  Projection.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

smrerig

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
The patient is experiencing unconscious refusal to see reality that provides a protection from facing something so distressing.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Denial is unconscious refusal to see reality.

tth

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

covalentbond

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

After 5 years of being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, one every three patients will no longer be able to work.

Did you know?

Nitroglycerin is used to alleviate various heart-related conditions, and it is also the chief component of dynamite (but mixed in a solid clay base to stabilize it).

Did you know?

Women are two-thirds more likely than men to develop irritable bowel syndrome. This may be attributable to hormonal changes related to their menstrual cycles.

Did you know?

Many supplement containers do not even contain what their labels say. There are many documented reports of products containing much less, or more, that what is listed on their labels. They may also contain undisclosed prescription drugs and even contaminants.

Did you know?

Warfarin was developed as a consequence of the study of a strange bleeding disorder that suddenly occurred in cattle on the northern prairies of the United States in the early 1900s.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library