This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is assisting in the care of a client being discharged on phenytoin (Dilantin), 100 mg 3 ... (Read 46 times)

cagreen833

The nurse is assisting in the care of a client being discharged on phenytoin (Dilantin), 100 mg 3 times daily, for seizure control.

When providing client teaching about this medication, the nurse should be sure to include which of the following points? Select all that apply. 1. Break the capsules so they are easier to swallow.
  2. Use a soft toothbrush while taking this medication.
  3. If a dose is missed, just wait until the next one is due.
  4. Alcohol should be avoided while taking this medication.
  5. The medication may turn the client's urine pink, red, or brown.
  6. Sore throat is a common side effect of the medication and is nothing to worry about.

Question 2

The nurse has provided discharge instructions to a client being placed on long-term anticoagulant therapy with warfarin (Coumadin). Adequate learning would be evident if the client makes which of the following statements? Select all that apply.

1. I will inform my dentist that I am taking Coumadin.
  2. I may take over-the-counter medications as needed.
  3. I should alternate the timing of my daily dose of Coumadin.
  4. I will have my blood levels checked as prescribed by my physician.
  5. I will report any signs of blood in my urine or stool to my physician.
  6. I should use a firm-bristled toothbrush to prevent the side effects of Coumadin.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

zhanghao

Answer to Question 1

2, 4, 5

Rationale: Phenytoin is an anticonvulsant that can cause gingival hyperplasia, as well as bleeding, swelling, and tenderness of the gums. The client should use good oral hygiene, gum massage, and have regular dental checkups. Alcohol interferes with the absorption of phenytoin, so it should be avoided. Change in the color of the urine is a normal reaction. A sore throat, fever, glandular swelling, or any skin reaction indicates hematological toxicity and needs to be reported.

Answer to Question 2

1, 4, 5

Rationale: Clients need to notify all health care providers that they are on warfarin (Coumadin) therapy. Dental procedures may put the client at risk for increased bleeding, so this should direct you to I will inform my dentist that I am taking Coumadin. Knowing that the effectiveness of warfarin is based on maintaining a therapeutic blood level will direct you to select I will have my blood levels checked as prescribed by my physician. Awareness of bleeding as a primary complication will direct you to I will report any signs of blood in my urine or stool to my physician.

cagreen833

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Excellent

hramirez205

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Though the United States has largely rejected the metric system, it is used for currency, as in 100 pennies = 1 dollar. Previously, the British currency system was used, with measurements such as 12 pence to the shilling, and 20 shillings to the pound.

Did you know?

Elderly adults are at greatest risk of stroke and myocardial infarction and have the most to gain from prophylaxis. Patients ages 60 to 80 years with blood pressures above 160/90 mm Hg should benefit from antihypertensive treatment.

Did you know?

As the western states of America were settled, pioneers often had to drink rancid water from ponds and other sources. This often resulted in chronic diarrhea, causing many cases of dehydration and death that could have been avoided if clean water had been available.

Did you know?

There are actually 60 minerals, 16 vitamins, 12 essential amino acids, and three essential fatty acids that your body needs every day.

Did you know?

Cocaine was isolated in 1860 and first used as a local anesthetic in 1884. Its first clinical use was by Sigmund Freud to wean a patient from morphine addiction. The fictional character Sherlock Holmes was supposed to be addicted to cocaine by injection.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library