This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is caring for a client receiving codeine sulfate for pain. The nurse determines that the ... (Read 129 times)

Tazate

The nurse is caring for a client receiving codeine sulfate for pain. The nurse determines that the client is experiencing a side effect of the medication based on which of the following findings?

1. Distended jugular veins
  2. Bounding peripheral pulses
  3. No bowel movement in 3 days
  4. Change in blood pressure from 120/60 to 140/80 mm Hg

Question 2

The preoperative client expresses anxiety to the nurse about the upcoming surgery. Which of the following statements by the nurse is most likely to stimulate further discussion between the client and the nurse?

1. If it's any help, everyone is nervous before surgery.
  2. I will be happy to explain the entire surgical procedure to you.
  3. Can you share with me what you've been told about your surgery?
  4. Let me tell you about the care you'll receive after surgery and the amount of pain you can anticipate.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Galvarado142

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: The client taking codeine sulfate is at risk for constipation. Thus, the nurse monitors the frequency of bowel movements. The nurse also would monitor the client for hypotension, decreased respirations, and urinary retention. The nurse would plan measures to counteract these expected effects, such as encouraging fluids, coughing and deep breathing, and increasing mobility to the extent tolerated by the client.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: Explanations should begin with the information that the client knows. By providing the client with an individualized explanation of care and procedures, the nurse can assist the cli-ent in handling fears and providing a smooth preoperative experience. Clients who are calm and emotionally prepared for surgery withstand anesthesia better and experience fewer postoperative complications. If it's any help, everyone is nervous before surgery. is a stereotypical response. I will be happy to explain the entire surgical procedure to you. and Let me tell you about the care you'll receive after surgery and the amount of pain you can anticipate. can increase the client's anxiety.

Tazate

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Jossy

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

The average person is easily confused by the terms pharmaceutics and pharmacology, thinking they are one and the same. Whereas pharmaceutics is the science of preparing and dispensing drugs (otherwise known as the science of pharmacy), pharmacology is the study of medications.

Did you know?

Cutaneous mucormycosis is a rare fungal infection that has been fatal in at least 29% of cases, and in as many as 83% of cases, depending on the patient's health prior to infection. It has occurred often after natural disasters such as tornados, and early treatment is essential.

Did you know?

Approximately 500,000 babies are born each year in the United States to teenage mothers.

Did you know?

Essential fatty acids have been shown to be effective against ulcers, asthma, dental cavities, and skin disorders such as acne.

Did you know?

Of the estimated 2 million heroin users in the United States, 600,000–800,000 are considered hardcore addicts. Heroin addiction is considered to be one of the hardest addictions to recover from.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library