This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A child is brought to the emergency department, and a fracture of the left lower arm is suspected. ... (Read 341 times)

codyclark

A child is brought to the emergency department, and a fracture of the left lower arm is suspected. The mother states that the child was rollerblading and attempted to break a fall with an outstretched arm.

Diagnostic x-rays of the child reveal that a fracture is present. A plaster of Paris cast is applied to the arm, and the nurse provides instructions to the mother regarding cast care at home. Which teaching points would the nurse provide the mother? Select all that apply. 1. The cast should be dry in about 6 hours.
  2. The cast is water-resistant, so the child is able to take a bath or a shower.
  3. The cast will mold to the body part.
  4. The cast needs to be kept dry, because when wet it will begin to disintegrate.
  5. Keep the cast elevated for the first day on pillows.
  6. Make sure that the child can frequently wiggle the fingers.

Question 2

The client who chronically uses nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) has begun taking misoprostol (Cytotec).

Evaluation of the effectiveness of the misoprostol in preventing a side effect of chronic NSAID use is determined by the nurse if the client reports which of the following? 1. I have fewer muscle aches.
  2. My joint mobility has improved.
  3. I no longer have pain above my stomach.
  4. I am no longer experiencing constipation.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

fauacakatahaias

Answer to Question 1

3, 4, 5, 6

Rationale: The cast will mold to the body part, the cast needs to be kept dry, because when wet it will begin to disintegrate, keep the cast elevated for the first day on pillows, and make sure that the child can frequently wiggle the fingers are all important components of a teaching plan for a parent. Plaster of Paris is a heavier material than that used in a synthetic cast. It molds easily to the extremity and is less expensive than a synthetic cast. It takes about 24 hours to dry, but drying time could be longer, depending on the size of the cast. Plaster of Paris is not wa-ter-resistant and, when wet, will begin to disintegrate. The cast should be elevated on a pillow for the first day to decrease swelling as the cast begins to mold to the arm. As the cast molds, it is imperative that the child can wiggle the fingers, because the extremity continues to swell. If the child can wiggle the fingers, adequate motion is present. Color and sensation of the fingers should also be assessed.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: The client who chronically uses NSAIDs is prone to gastric mucosal injury. Misoprostol is a gastric protectant and is given specifically to prevent this occurrence. Constipation is not associated with the use of NSAIDs. I have fewer muscle aches. and My joint mobility has improved. are incorrect because they are intended effects of the NSAID.

codyclark

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Wow, this really help

phuda

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Most women experience menopause in their 50s. However, in 1994, an Italian woman gave birth to a baby boy when she was 61 years old.

Did you know?

Patients who have been on total parenteral nutrition for more than a few days may need to have foods gradually reintroduced to give the digestive tract time to start working again.

Did you know?

Common abbreviations that cause medication errors include U (unit), mg (milligram), QD (every day), SC (subcutaneous), TIW (three times per week), D/C (discharge or discontinue), HS (at bedtime or "hours of sleep"), cc (cubic centimeters), and AU (each ear).

Did you know?

As the western states of America were settled, pioneers often had to drink rancid water from ponds and other sources. This often resulted in chronic diarrhea, causing many cases of dehydration and death that could have been avoided if clean water had been available.

Did you know?

Hypertension is a silent killer because it is deadly and has no significant early symptoms. The danger from hypertension is the extra load on the heart, which can lead to hypertensive heart disease and kidney damage. This occurs without any major symptoms until the high blood pressure becomes extreme. Regular blood pressure checks are an important method of catching hypertension before it can kill you.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library