This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A child is seen in the health care clinic, and the nurse suspects the presence of pinworm infection ... (Read 19 times)

OSWALD

A child is seen in the health care clinic, and the nurse suspects the presence of pinworm infection (enterobiasis). The nurse instructs the mother as to how to obtain a cellophane tape rectal speci-men.

Which of the following statements, if made by the mother, indicates an understanding of the correct procedure to obtain the specimen? 1. I need to collect the specimen after I give my child a bath.
  2. I need to collect the first bowel movement of the day and place it in a sealed container.
  3. I need to place a piece of transparent cellophane tape lightly over the anal area as soon as my child awakens and bring it to the clinic for examination.
  4. I need to place a piece of transparent cellophane tape lightly over the anal area after my child has a bowel movement and bring it to the clinic for examination.

Question 2

The nurse monitors the blood glucose level of the client who received NPH insulin at 7 AM with an understanding that the client may experience a hypoglycemic reaction between:

1. 9 to 11 AM
  2. 1 to 7 PM
  3. 7 to 11 PM
  4. Midnight to 6 AM

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ktidd

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: Diagnosis of pinworm is confirmed by direct visualization of the worms. Parents can view the sleeping child's anus with a flashlight. The worm is white, thin, and about 1 inch long, and it moves. A simple technique, the cellophane tape slide method, is used to capture worms and eggs. Transparent tape is lightly touched to the anus and then applied to a slide for examina-tion. The best specimens are obtained as the child awakens, before toileting or bathing.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: NPH insulin is an intermediate-acting insulin. It peaks in 6 to 12 hours after administration. (Its onset is in 1 to 2 hours, and its duration is 18 to 24 hours.) If the medication was given at 7 AM, the nurse would monitor for hypoglycemia during the time of peak action, which would be between 1 and 7 PM.

OSWALD

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Gracias!

nanny

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

In most climates, 8 to 10 glasses of water per day is recommended for adults. The best indicator for adequate fluid intake is frequent, clear urination.

Did you know?

HIV testing reach is still limited. An estimated 40% of people with HIV (more than 14 million) remain undiagnosed and do not know their infection status.

Did you know?

More than 4.4billion prescriptions were dispensed within the United States in 2016.

Did you know?

Critical care patients are twice as likely to receive the wrong medication. Of these errors, 20% are life-threatening, and 42% require additional life-sustaining treatments.

Did you know?

The first documented use of surgical anesthesia in the United States was in Connecticut in 1844.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library