This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is providing home care instructions to the mother of a child receiving radiation therapy. ... (Read 40 times)

Marty

The nurse is providing home care instructions to the mother of a child receiving radiation therapy. Which of the following statements, if made by the mother, indicates a need for further education?

1. I should dress my child in loose clothing.
  2. My child may need more rest periods because the radiation will cause fatigue.
  3. I won't need to limit the amount of sun that my child gets.
  4. I need to try to provide food and fluids to prevent dehydration.

Question 2

The client with a burn injury is applying mafenide (Sulfamylon) to the wound. The client calls the physician's office and tells the nurse that the medication is uncomfortable and is causing a burning sensation. The nurse instructs the client to:

1. Discontinue the medication.
  2. Apply a thinner film than prescribed to the burn site.
  3. Continue with the treatment, as this is expected.
  4. Come to the office to see the physician immediately.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Joy Chen

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: Sun protection is essential during radiation treatments. The child should not be ex-posed to sun during these treatments. I should dress my child in loose clothing. My child may need more rest periods because the radiation will cause fatigue. and I need to try to provide food and fluids to prevent dehydration. are appropriate measures for the child during radiation therapy.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: Mafenide is used to treat partial- and full-thickness burns. It is bacteriostatic for both gram-negative and gram-positive organisms present in avascular tissues. The client should be warned that the medication will cause local discomfort and burning. The nurse does not instruct a client to alter a medication prescription (discontinue the medication and apply a thinner film than prescribed to the burn site). It is not necessary that the client see the physician immediately at this time.

Marty

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Excellent

miss.ashley

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Giardia is one of the most common intestinal parasites worldwide, and infects up to 20% of the world population, mostly in poorer countries with inadequate sanitation. Infections are most common in children, though chronic Giardia is more common in adults.

Did you know?

The average office desk has 400 times more bacteria on it than a toilet.

Did you know?

Though the United States has largely rejected the metric system, it is used for currency, as in 100 pennies = 1 dollar. Previously, the British currency system was used, with measurements such as 12 pence to the shilling, and 20 shillings to the pound.

Did you know?

The average human gut is home to perhaps 500 to 1,000 different species of bacteria.

Did you know?

Hip fractures are the most serious consequences of osteoporosis. The incidence of hip fractures increases with each decade among patients in their 60s to patients in their 90s for both women and men of all populations. Men and women older than 80 years of age show the highest incidence of hip fractures.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library