This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is providing instructions to the parents of a child with scoliosis regarding the use of a ... (Read 14 times)

ENagel

The nurse is providing instructions to the parents of a child with scoliosis regarding the use of a brace. Which of the following statements, if made by one of the parents, indicates a need for further instructions?

1. I cannot place powder under the brace.
  2. I need to place a soft shirt on my child under the brace.
  3. I need to encourage my child to perform prescribed exercises.
  4. I need to be sure to apply lotion on the skin under the brace.

Question 2

A client experiencing preterm labor at the twenty-ninth week of gestation has been admitted to the hospital. The client has a prescription to receive betamethasone (Celestone).

The nurse understands that the medication will do which of the following? 1. Prevent spontaneous delivery.
  2. Stop the uterine contractions.
  3. Promote maturation of the fetal lungs.
  4. Accelerate the growth rate of the fetus.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

AngeliqueG

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: The use of lotions or powders should be avoided with a brace because they can be-come sticky or cake under the brace, causing irritation. I cannot place powder under the brace. I need to place a soft shirt on my child under the brace. and I need to encourage my child to perform prescribed exercises. are appropriate interventions for the use of a brace on a child.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: Betamethasone (Celestone) is classified as an anti-inflammatory and corticosteroid. It increases the surfactant level and lung maturity in the fetus, which reduces the incidence of respiratory distress syndrome. Delivery must be delayed for at least 48 hours after administration of betamethasone to allow time for the lungs of the fetus to mature.

ENagel

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Gracias!

Animal_Goddess

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

The first successful kidney transplant was performed in 1954 and occurred in Boston. A kidney from an identical twin was transplanted into his dying brother's body and was not rejected because it did not appear foreign to his body.

Did you know?

GI conditions that will keep you out of the U.S. armed services include ulcers, varices, fistulas, esophagitis, gastritis, congenital abnormalities, inflammatory bowel disease, enteritis, colitis, proctitis, duodenal diverticula, malabsorption syndromes, hepatitis, cirrhosis, cysts, abscesses, pancreatitis, polyps, certain hemorrhoids, splenomegaly, hernias, recent abdominal surgery, GI bypass or stomach stapling, and artificial GI openings.

Did you know?

Before a vaccine is licensed in the USA, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reviews it for safety and effectiveness. The CDC then reviews all studies again, as well as the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Family Physicians. Every lot of vaccine is tested before administration to the public, and the FDA regularly inspects vaccine manufacturers' facilities.

Did you know?

As many as 20% of Americans have been infected by the fungus known as Histoplasmosis. While most people are asymptomatic or only have slight symptoms, infection can progress to a rapid and potentially fatal superinfection.

Did you know?

According to the FDA, adverse drug events harmed or killed approximately 1,200,000 people in the United States in the year 2015.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library