This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse manager meets with the staff nurses and announces that management has developed a new ... (Read 20 times)

jon_i

The nurse manager meets with the staff nurses and announces that management has developed a new policy and procedure that is significantly different from old practices.

Which of the follow-ing statements, if made by the nurse manager, would reflect the manager's use of legitimate power? 1. The health care system services a client population that presents particular chal-lenges. The changes made will enhance client safety and reduce errors.
  2. If you don't follow the new policy and procedure, I'll have no choice but to give you a notice about poor performancewhich could lead to termination of your employment.
  3. Every manager has the responsibility to see that these new policies and proce-dures are followed 100 of the time. Please join me in this organization's effort to continue to improve quality care.
  4. You're just going to have to trust me on this one. I was a member of the com-mittee that wrote the policy and procedure, and there are good reasons why the specific nursing actions need to be done this new way.

Question 2

The client with cellulitis of the lower leg has had cultures done on the affected area. The nurse reviewing the results of the culture report interprets that which of the following organisms is not part of the normal flora of the skin?

1. Escherichia coli
  2. Candida albicans
  3. Staphylococcus aureus
  4. Staphylococcus epidermidis

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

nyrave

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: Every manager has the responsibility to see that these new policies and procedures are followed 100 of the time. Please join me in this organization's effort to continue to improve quality care. describes legitimate power. Legitimate power is based upon a person's position within an organization or society. The organizational leadership has mandated performance outcomes, and management carries the responsibility to see that the mandate is met. The health care system services a client population that presents particular challenges. The changes made will enhance client safety and reduce errors. demonstrates informational power. The manager is using data to drive compliance with the mandate. If you don't follow the new policy and pro-cedure, I'll have no choice but to give you a notice about poor performancewhich could lead to termination of your employment. reflects an example of coercive power. Coercive power is a do this or else type of approach. You're just going to have to trust me on this one. I was a member of the committee that wrote the policy and procedure, and there are good reasons why the specific nursing actions need to be done this new way. reflects expert power. The manager is asking the staff nurses to comply with the mandate because the manager possesses expert knowledge and skill levels. In addition to coercive, informational, expert, and legitimate power, the manager has referent, reward, and personal power.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: E. coli is normally found in the intestines and is a common source of infection of wounds and the urinary system. C. albicans, S. aureus, and S. epidermis are part of the normal flora of the skin.

jon_i

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

irishcancer18

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

The eye muscles are the most active muscles in the whole body. The external muscles that move the eyes are the strongest muscles in the human body for the job they have to do. They are 100 times more powerful than they need to be.

Did you know?

When intravenous medications are involved in adverse drug events, their harmful effects may occur more rapidly, and be more severe than errors with oral medications. This is due to the direct administration into the bloodstream.

Did you know?

In 1844, Charles Goodyear obtained the first patent for a rubber condom.

Did you know?

Historic treatments for rheumatoid arthritis have included gold salts, acupuncture, a diet consisting of apples or rhubarb, nutmeg, nettles, bee venom, bracelets made of copper, prayer, rest, tooth extractions, fasting, honey, vitamins, insulin, snow collected on Christmas, magnets, and electric convulsion therapy.

Did you know?

In the United States, there is a birth every 8 seconds, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's Population Clock.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library