This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An elderly client with cellulitis of the upper left leg has been in the hospital for 10 days ... (Read 30 times)

crobinson2013

An elderly client with cellulitis of the upper left leg has been in the hospital for 10 days receiving IV antibiotics. The infection is resolving and the nurse anticipates which of the following orders for this client?

1. Oral antibiotics to be continued at home
   2. Home health care aide for the client
   3. Low sodium diet prescribed
   4. Orders for evaluation by physical therapy

Question 2

The nurse is teaching a client with cellulitis about ways to avoid future infections. The nurse determines that a learning outcome has been met when the client states which of the following?

1. I can stop taking the antibiotics when the swelling subsides..
   2. I should not use antibiotic soap to cleanse the wounds..
   3. I should eat a lot of rice to increase my intake of vitamin C..
   4. I will stay away from hot tubs and whirlpools..

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

fwbard

Answer to Question 1

4. Orders for evaluation by physical therapy

Rationale:
Disuse syndrome can occur very quickly, especially in the older client whose muscles are diminishing. The nurse would expect the physician to have a physical therapist assess the client to maximize and rehabilitate the unused muscles. If the infection is resolving, there is no need for oral antibiotics at home. The client may or may not need a home health aide. A low sodium diet does not affect returning strength of the muscles.

Answer to Question 2

4. I will stay away from hot tubs and whirlpools..

Rationale:
Hot tubs, whirlpools, and swimming pools often contain the bacteria pseudomonas aeruginosa, which can lead to a cellulitis infection. Antibiotics are taken for the full course ordered. It is recommended that the client wash affected areas with an antibacterial soap. Vitamin C rich foods are citrus fruits and strawberries but not rice.

crobinson2013

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Wow, this really help

billybob123

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

A seasonal flu vaccine is the best way to reduce the chances you will get seasonal influenza and spread it to others.

Did you know?

The average office desk has 400 times more bacteria on it than a toilet.

Did you know?

There are more sensory neurons in the tongue than in any other part of the body.

Did you know?

Signs of depression include feeling sad most of the time for 2 weeks or longer; loss of interest in things normally enjoyed; lack of energy; sleep and appetite disturbances; weight changes; feelings of hopelessness, helplessness, or worthlessness; an inability to make decisions; and thoughts of death and suicide.

Did you know?

The oldest recorded age was 122. Madame Jeanne Calment was born in France in 1875 and died in 1997. She was a vegetarian and loved olive oil, port wine, and chocolate.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library