Author Question: The Great American Smokeout may motivate many individuals to stop smoking by promoting ... (Read 63 times)

Brittanyd9008

The Great American Smokeout may motivate many individuals to stop smoking by promoting self-efficacy. Which of the following statements leads the nurse to expect a positive outcome for this client?

1. I know that this time I will quit smoking permanently..
   2. I am going to do the best that I can, so that I won't get lung cancer..
   3. I am afraid of getting lung cancer like my father..
   4. I think this time will be different..

Question 2

During the nursing assessment of the adult client, the nurse finds the client's beliefs and actions related to common health practices to be bizarre.. The most appropriate action for the nurse to take at this time would be to:

1. Repeat the assessment later in the day.
   2. Communicate the findings to the health care team.
   3. Inquire as to the culture with which the client identifies.
   4. Write a nursing diagnosis to address the bizarre beliefs and actions.

trampas

Answer to Question 1

1. I know that this time I will quit smoking permanently..

Rationale:
Self-efficacy refers to the level of confidence an individual has about the ability to perform the activity. The client's intention to make a permanent change shows the highest level of determination and motivation. Stating that one will do the best one can or thinking that this attempt at quitting smoking will be different are not highly positive indicators of motivation. Stating fear of getting lung cancer does not address a positive activity.

Answer to Question 2

3. Inquire as to the culture with which the client identifies.

Rationale:
A thorough assessment is needed before proceeding with other steps of the nursing process. Behavior that is considered bizarre in one cultural context may be considered desirable in another. While findings will be communicated and used for nursing diagnosis formulation, these steps are built upon a thorough assessment. Repeating the assessment will most likely result in the same incomplete data. Writing a nursing diagnosis before investigating the client's culture would be premature.