This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is caring for an 89-year-old woman whose 57-year-old son has just died. The son was in ... (Read 35 times)

mrsjacobs44

The nurse is caring for an 89-year-old woman whose 57-year-old son has just died. The son was in another city with a chronic disease and died alone.

Which of the following does the nurse plan to address with this mother and siblings during the grief process? 1. Helping the family make burial plans
   2. Obtaining a psychological consult for the mother
   3. Planning care related to guilt and grief
   4. Assisting the family through the complicated grief process

Question 2

An adult client tells the nurse, No matter what I do, I never can make my parents happy with me or what I do in life.. Which of the following can the nurse do to assist this client's self-concept?

1. Suggest the client reduce the amount of time spent with parents
   2. Remind the client that she is an educated woman with a great career and good marriage
   3. Tell the client that she is too old to be listening to her parents
   4. Suggest the client turn the tables and express the same dissatisfaction with the parents

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Alyson.hiatt@yahoo.com

Answer to Question 1

3. Planning care related to guilt and grief

Rationale:
The mother and family of the dead son are very likely going to face feelings of guilt for not having been with the son when he died. The nurse plans care for the family and does not obtain a consult unless grief becomes unhealthy. The nurse does not help the family make burial plans. There is no evidence that the mother or family is experiencing complicated grief yet.

Answer to Question 2

2. Remind the client that she is an educated woman with a great career and good marriage

Rationale:
To improve or support the client's self-concept, the nurse needs to help the client identify strengths. Reminding the client about her education, career, and marriage is identifying strengths. Suggesting the client reduce time spent with parents, telling the client that she is too old to be listening to her parents, or suggesting the client express dissatisfaction with the parents are all inappropriate responses and do not help the client identify strengths.

mrsjacobs44

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

adammoses97

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Elderly adults are living longer, and causes of death are shifting. At the same time, autopsy rates are at or near their lowest in history.

Did you know?

There are more bacteria in your mouth than there are people in the world.

Did you know?

Blood is approximately twice as thick as water because of the cells and other components found in it.

Did you know?

The human body's pharmacokinetics are quite varied. Our hair holds onto drugs longer than our urine, blood, or saliva. For example, alcohol can be detected in the hair for up to 90 days after it was consumed. The same is true for marijuana, cocaine, ecstasy, heroin, methamphetamine, and nicotine.

Did you know?

Always store hazardous household chemicals in their original containers out of reach of children. These include bleach, paint, strippers and products containing turpentine, garden chemicals, oven cleaners, fondue fuels, nail polish, and nail polish remover.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library