This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is caring for a 16-year-old with Down's syndrome. The mother has just come to tell the ... (Read 10 times)

Capo

The nurse is caring for a 16-year-old with Down's syndrome. The mother has just come to tell the client that his sister was hit by a car and killed.

The mother tells the nurse that they will hold the funeral before the client gets out of the hospital so that he does not have to experience the grief. The mother asks the nurse if this is the proper choice for her to make. The nurse would tell the mother which of the following? 1. The mother made the right choice in holding the funeral now.
   2. The mother should let the client choose to attend the funeral or not.
   3. The mother should let the rest of the family decide.
   4. The mother should make the decision when she is feeling better.

Question 2

The nurse is instructing a new mother with limited financial resources regarding formula feeding the infant. Which statement indicates that the nurse's education session was effective?

1. I should only use soy-based formula for the first year..
   2. I follow the instructions for mixing the powdered formula exactly..
   3. I can reuse one bottle for several feedings..
   4. The mixed formula can be left on the counter for a day..

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ndhahbi

Answer to Question 1

2. The mother should let the client choose to attend the funeral or not.

Rationale:
The client with Down's will experience grief and loss as any normal person would. The child should be allowed to choose for himself, within reason, if he wants to attend the funeral. This client needs closure for the grief he will have. Telling the mother she did the right thing is not appropriate. Neither is it appropriate to advise her to let others make the decision or tell her to postpone the decision.

Answer to Question 2

2. I follow the instructions for mixing the powdered formula exactly..

Rationale:
Powdered and concentrated formula must be mixed according to manufacturer's guidelines. Formula that is too concentrated can lead to excess sodium intake, which creates increased thirst and overfeeding. Soy-based formulas are more expensive than whey-based formulas and are only needed by infants with milk allergies. No information is provided about milk allergy symptoms. Powdered formula is the cheapest, followed by concentrated formula; ready-to-feed formula is the most expensive. Each bottle should contain only enough formula for one feeding, and any formula left after the feeding should be discarded to prevent bacterial growth. Once formula is mixed, it must be used within two hours or refrigerated.

Capo

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

samiel-sayed

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

By definition, when a medication is administered intravenously, its bioavailability is 100%.

Did you know?

The term pharmacology is derived from the Greek words pharmakon("claim, medicine, poison, or remedy") and logos ("study").

Did you know?

On average, the stomach produces 2 L of hydrochloric acid per day.

Did you know?

Certain chemicals, after ingestion, can be converted by the body into cyanide. Most of these chemicals have been removed from the market, but some old nail polish remover, solvents, and plastics manufacturing solutions can contain these substances.

Did you know?

The human body produces and destroys 15 million blood cells every second.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library