Author Question: A client with several episodes of urinary calculi has been found through analysis to have stones ... (Read 17 times)

melly21297

A client with several episodes of urinary calculi has been found through analysis to have stones composed of calcium phosphate. The nurse teaches this client and family to reduce intake of which of the following foods?

1. Flour, milk, and milk products
   2. Organ meats, sardines, and seafood
   3. Tomatoes, fruits, and nuts
   4. Chicken, beef, and ham products

Question 2

The community nurse is working with a client at 32 weeks' gestation who has been diagnosed with preeclampsia. Which statement indicates that the client requires additional teaching?

1. I should call the doctor if I develop a headache or blurred vision..
   2. Lying on my left side as much as possible is good for the baby..
   3. My urine may become darker and smaller in amount each day..
   4. Pain in the top of my abdomen is a sign my condition is worsening..

bfulkerson77

Answer to Question 1

1. Flour, milk, and milk products

Rationale:
Flour, milk, and milk products have high calcium levels and, therefore, are recommended to be reduced to decrease the risk of further episodes of calcium-containing calculi. Organ meats, sardines, and seafood, tomatoes, fruits, and nuts, and chicken, beef, and ham products are not high in calcium and do not need to be restricted for this client.

Answer to Question 2

3. My urine may become darker and smaller in amount each day..

Rationale:
Oliguria is a complication of preeclampsia caused by renal involvement and is a sign that the condition is worsening. It is not an expected outcome and should be reported to the physician. Headache and blurred vision or other visual disturbances are an indication of worsening preeclampsia, and should be reported to the physician. Left lateral position maximizes uterine and renal blood flow, and therefore is the optimal position for a client with preeclampsia. Epigastric pain is an indication of liver enlargement, a symptom of worsening preeclampsia, and should be reported to the physician.