Author Question: An elderly client is diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy. The nurse realizes this type of ... (Read 44 times)

jho37

An elderly client is diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy. The nurse realizes this type of cardiomyopathy is due to:

1. Hypertension.
   2. Heredity.
   3. Alcohol intake.
   4. Myocardial fibrosis.

Question 2

A client who has been transferred to the medical-surgical unit from the ICU asks the nurse assigned to the care of the client why a UAP is helping with ambulation. The best response by the nurse is:

1. I assigned your care to the UAP..
   2. You have been walking well, so I delegated that part of your care to the UAP..
   3. You do not need me to ambulate you..
   4. The charge nurse.made the decision to have the UAP assist you when walking..

ilianabrrr

Answer to Question 1

3. Alcohol intake.

Rationale:
Dilated cardiomyopathy is usually idiopathic but may be secondary to chronic alcohol intake or myocarditis. Heredity and hypertension are causes for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Myocardial fibrosis can cause restrictive cardiomyopathy.

Answer to Question 2

2. You have been walking well, so I delegated that part of your care to the UAP..

Rationale:
An assignment of care is made to a qualified person (the RN), who then may delegate parts of that care to UAP. The nurse would not assign care to the UAP, but rather, delegate certain tasks to the UAP. Saying that the client does not need the nurse is not the best approach; it is better to explain that the client has improved to the point where the UAP can assist with certain tasks. UAP may have tasks delegated to them by a nurse assigned to care for the client. The charge does not make the assessment to delegate to the UAP; the RN assigned to the care of the client is the decision maker.