This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: While communicating with a 10-year-old client who is to undergo major heart surgery the next ... (Read 18 times)

HCHenry

While communicating with a 10-year-old client who is to undergo major heart surgery the next morning, the nurse demonstrates therapeutic communication by responding to the client's tears with:

1. You shouldn't cry. You are not in pain..
   2. It is okay to cry. I know this is scary..
   3. I'm going to go get the doctor..
   4. Would you like some toys?

Question 2

A nurse is working with a client and establishing a therapeutic relationship. The nurse is aware that a good method of establishing rapport with a client is by conveying empathy with the client.

Which response by the nurse best exemplifies empathy? 1. I know just how you feel..
   2. You seem to be frightened by the procedure..
   3. I wouldn't be afraid, if I were you..
   4. You shouldn't have done it that way..

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ilianabrrr

Answer to Question 1

2. It is okay to cry. I know this is scary..

Rationale:
Assertive communication is appropriate in the group setting, but for this client, the nurse should be accepting of the client's feelings of fear. Telling the client not to cry invalidates the client's feelings. Leaving to get the doctor could be seen by the child as abandonment and would signal that the nurse is uncomfortable with the child. Distraction is not appropriate when the client is clearly upset; instead, the nurse should attempt to seek more information about what the child is feeling.

Answer to Question 2

2. You seem to be frightened by the procedure..

Rationale:
The goal of empathy is to let the client be aware that the nurse understands the client's feelings as well as the words. By stating that the client appears to be frightened, the nurse is demonstrating understanding and is giving the client the opportunity to further define feelings. Telling the client that the nurse knows how the client feels is going to be met with disbelief, and rightly so; one person never knows how another person is feeling unless they tell them. Telling the client not to be afraid is demeaning; rather, the nurse should ascertain the source of fear and then teach. Saying the client should not have done something is passing judgment and inappropriate.

HCHenry

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Excellent

EAN94

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Interferon was scarce and expensive until 1980, when the interferon gene was inserted into bacteria using recombinant DNA technology, allowing for mass cultivation and purification from bacterial cultures.

Did you know?

Inotropic therapy does not have a role in the treatment of most heart failure patients. These drugs can make patients feel and function better but usually do not lengthen the predicted length of their lives.

Did you know?

Serum cholesterol testing in adults is recommended every 1 to 5 years. People with diabetes and a family history of high cholesterol should be tested even more frequently.

Did you know?

More than one-third of adult Americans are obese. Diseases that kill the largest number of people annually, such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, stroke, and hypertension, can be attributed to diet.

Did you know?

The ratio of hydrogen atoms to oxygen in water (H2O) is 2:1.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library