This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An older client is talking with the nurse about sleep problems. Which of the following statements ... (Read 49 times)

appyboo

An older client is talking with the nurse about sleep problems. Which of the following statements about sleep does the nurse plan to teach the client about older adults and sleep?

1. An older person does not have as much deep sleep as a younger person.
   2. Normally, a person should not awaken more than once during the night.
   3. The need for sleep decreases with age.
   4. Disrupted sleep is not associated with depression.

Question 2

A nurse has evaluated the effectiveness of a teaching session for wound care with a client. Which statement provides the best feedback to the client, who did not grasp all the teaching?

1. I do not think you understood me correctly..
   2. Let me clarify some of the steps again..
   3. You did not pay attention..
   4. Here, let me do it for you..

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ankilker

Answer to Question 1

1. An older person does not have as much deep sleep as a younger person.

Rationale:
Starting at age 20, there is a reduction in slow wave sleep, which is the deepest sleep. This reduction in deep sleep progresses with aging. Waking up three or more times during the night is considered abnormal. Generally, the amount of sleep needed is about the same for the youth, middle-aged, and older adult. The older person may have more difficulty obtaining the quality and quantity of sleep. Many persons with depression report sleep problems, including difficulty getting to sleep, early morning awakenings, and daytime napping.

Answer to Question 2

2. Let me clarify some of the steps again..

Rationale:
Responding with some clarifications indicates the client understood some of the teaching and preserves the client's dignity and trust in the nurse. Saying that the client did not understand the information is belittling. Beginning a negative phrase with you is assigning blame, which impedes the therapeutic relationship. Telling the client the nurse can do it better defeats the goal of the feedback; the nurse would want to instill self-confidence in the client, and this type of action will hurt that goal.

Did you know?

The senior population grows every year. Seniors older than 65 years of age now comprise more than 13% of the total population. However, women outlive men. In the 85-and-over age group, there are only 45 men to every 100 women.

Did you know?

ACTH levels are normally highest in the early morning (between 6 and 8 A.M.) and lowest in the evening (between 6 and 11 P.M.). Therefore, a doctor who suspects abnormal levels looks for low ACTH in the morning and high ACTH in the evening.

Did you know?

The B-complex vitamins and vitamin C are not stored in the body and must be replaced each day.

Did you know?

Excessive alcohol use costs the country approximately $235 billion every year.

Did you know?

Hip fractures are the most serious consequences of osteoporosis. The incidence of hip fractures increases with each decade among patients in their 60s to patients in their 90s for both women and men of all populations. Men and women older than 80 years of age show the highest incidence of hip fractures.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library