This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The home care nurse hears an elderly client's spouse tell the client, You are good for nothing You ... (Read 38 times)

tfester

The home care nurse hears an elderly client's spouse tell the client, You are good for nothing You insist on living in this huge home which you cannot maintain but expect me to.. The client engages in an argument with the spouse.

The home care nurse identifies which of the following for the client and spouse? 1. Financial struggles within the family
   2. Spousal abuse
   3. Evidence of low blood glucose levels
   4. Possible situational depression for both client and spouse

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a client who asks the nurse to explain a concept about the client's disease process that the nurse does not know the answer to. The best response by the nurse is:

1. I do not know..
   2. I do not know, but I will find out..
   3. Why do you need to know that?
   4. You'll have to ask the doctor that question..

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

yasmin

Answer to Question 1

4. Possible situational depression for both client and spouse

Rationale:
Manifestations associated with situational depression in the elderly include irritability and poor work performance. One spouse is irritable because of overwork and the other spouse is irritable because of the inability to perform household work. The nurse cannot determine if the family is having financial struggles. There is no evidence of spousal abuse at this time. The nurse cannot determine that the arguing is due to low blood glucose levels.

Answer to Question 2

2. I do not know, but I will find out..

Rationale:
The nurse best exhibits integrity by telling the client that the nurse will find out the answer and get back to the client. Honesty by the nurse will build trust with the client. Just saying, I don't know, and leaving it at that will make the nurse appear untrustworthy and possibly uncaring. Questioning the client about the need for the information is defensive and might also be construed as a challenge by the client. Referring the question to the doctor is also not good ethics; nurses need to continue learning throughout their practice.

tfester

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Alyson.hiatt@yahoo.com

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

The human body produces and destroys 15 million blood cells every second.

Did you know?

The average office desk has 400 times more bacteria on it than a toilet.

Did you know?

In 2012, nearly 24 milliion Americans, aged 12 and older, had abused an illicit drug, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA).

Did you know?

Not getting enough sleep can greatly weaken the immune system. Lack of sleep makes you more likely to catch a cold, or more difficult to fight off an infection.

Did you know?

Atropine was named after the Greek goddess Atropos, the oldest and ugliest of the three sisters known as the Fates, who controlled the destiny of men.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library