This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is planning daily care for two clients. One client needs postoperative teaching. The other ... (Read 44 times)

@Brianna17

The nurse is planning daily care for two clients. One client needs postoperative teaching. The other client, who has been diagnosed with pneumonia, has a PaCO2 of 85. The nurse decides to assess the client with pneumonia first because:

1. The client needs more care than the client needing postoperative teaching.
   2. The nurse can delegate postoperative teaching to an unlicensed assistive person (UAP).
   3. The client with pneumonia may be experiencing respiratory distress.
   4. The room of the client with pneumonia is closer than that of the client needing postoperative teaching.

Question 2

The client is receiving clozaril (Clozapine) for the treatment of schizophrenia. The nurse evaluates the effectiveness of this medication when the client makes which statement?

1. I think I am ready for discharge, as I feel better..
   2. I am not hearing the voices anymore..
   3. I will start going to group therapy..
   4. I promise not to skip breakfast anymore..

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ntsoane kedibone

Answer to Question 1

3. The client with pneumonia may be experiencing respiratory distress.

Rationale:
The client with a PaCO2 of 85 could be in serious trouble. The nurse would decide to assess that client first in order to prevent dire consequences for the client. The client with pneumonia probably needs more care than the other client, but the reason for the decision is based on a potentially critical need by the client with pneumonia. The nurse cannot delegate discharge teaching to a UAP; even if delegation were permitted, the nurse would see the client with a high PaCO2 as being the greater priority. Placement of the client's room can be a decision that is made when considering time management issues; however, the physiological needs of the clients are the first consideration of the nurse.

Answer to Question 2

2. I am not hearing the voices anymore..

Rationale:
Among the therapeutic effects of clozapine (Clozaril) is the remission of a range of psychotic symptoms that include delusions, paranoia, auditory hallucinations, and irrational behavior. A client stating he feels better and is ready for discharge does not indicate the remission of any psychotic symptoms. A client stating he will go to group therapy does not indicate the remission of any psychotic symptoms. A client stating he will not skip breakfast does not indicate the remission of any psychotic symptoms.

Did you know?

Asthma occurs in one in 11 children and in one in 12 adults. African Americans and Latinos have a higher risk for developing asthma than other groups.

Did you know?

Critical care patients are twice as likely to receive the wrong medication. Of these errors, 20% are life-threatening, and 42% require additional life-sustaining treatments.

Did you know?

In most climates, 8 to 10 glasses of water per day is recommended for adults. The best indicator for adequate fluid intake is frequent, clear urination.

Did you know?

When taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors, people should avoid a variety of foods, which include alcoholic beverages, bean curd, broad (fava) bean pods, cheese, fish, ginseng, protein extracts, meat, sauerkraut, shrimp paste, soups, and yeast.

Did you know?

Asthma cases in Americans are about 75% higher today than they were in 1980.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library