This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client diagnosed with Parkinson's disease is prescribed carbidopa-levodopa. The client ... (Read 31 times)

Destiiny22

A client diagnosed with Parkinson's disease is prescribed carbidopa-levodopa. The client demonstrates an understanding of the medication when he states:

1. I will take the medication with my meals..
   2. This medication will cure my Parkinson's disease in time..
   3. This medication will not affect my blood pressure medications..
   4. I will sit up for several minutes to gain my balance before going from lying down to standing up..

Question 2

The spouse of a client with Parkinson's disease expresses frustration with trying to communicate with the client. Which of the following should the nurse do to facilitate communication between the client and spouse?

1. Suggest the spouse obtain a hearing aid
   2. Recommend that the client and spouse learn sign language
   3. Consult with speech therapy for exercises to aid with speech and language
   4. Remind the spouse that silence is not necessarily a bad thing

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

abro1885

Answer to Question 1

4. I will sit up for several minutes to gain my balance before going from lying down to standing up..

Rationale:
Carbidopa-levodopa is a medication that replaces the dopamine that is lacking in clients with Parkinson's disease. This medication is likely to cause orthostatic hypotension, so the client must take care when changing positions from lying to standing. The medication should be taken 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals to promote absorption of the medication. There is no medication known to cure Parkinson's disease. Care must be taken if the client is also taking medications to lower the blood pressure because a cumulative effect may occur leading to hypotension and increased risk for falling.

Answer to Question 2

3. Consult with speech therapy for exercises to aid with speech and language

Rationale:
The spouse is frustrated with the client's impaired verbal communication. The best intervention would be to consult with speech therapy for exercises to aid with speech and language. The spouse does not need a hearing aid. The spouse and client do not need to learn sign language in order to communicate. Reminding the spouse that silence is not a bad thing is an inappropriate intervention.

Destiiny22

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
:D TYSM

chjcharjto14

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Certain rare plants containing cyanide include apricot pits and a type of potato called cassava. Fortunately, only chronic or massive ingestion of any of these plants can lead to serious poisoning.

Did you know?

Amphetamine poisoning can cause intravascular coagulation, circulatory collapse, rhabdomyolysis, ischemic colitis, acute psychosis, hyperthermia, respiratory distress syndrome, and pericarditis.

Did you know?

Sperm cells are so tiny that 400 to 500 million (400,000,000–500,000,000) of them fit onto 1 tsp.

Did you know?

There are 60,000 miles of blood vessels in every adult human.

Did you know?

Earwax has antimicrobial properties that reduce the viability of bacteria and fungus in the human ear.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library