This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse suspects a patient is experiencing sleep apnea. Which of the following did the nurse ... (Read 89 times)

londonang

The nurse suspects a patient is experiencing sleep apnea. Which of the following did the nurse observe in this patient?

a. Episode of not breathing ending with a loud snore
  b. Hypersomnia
  c. Sleep paralysis
  d. Hypnagogic hallucinations

Question 2

A child is admitted to the hospital unit with physical injuries. The nurse is taking the child's history. The statement by the parent that would provide the most suspicion of abuse is:

1. I did not realize that my baby was able to roll over yet, and I was just gone a minute to check on dinner when he rolled off the couch and onto our tile floor..
   2. The baby's 18-month-old brother was trying to pull him out of the crib and dropped the baby on the floor..
   3. I placed the baby in the infant swing. His 6-year-old brother was running through the house and tripped over the swing, causing it to fall..
   4. I was walking up the steps, slipped on the ice, and fell while carrying my baby..

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

frankwu0507

Answer to Question 1

A
Sleep apnea occurs because the tissue of the soft palate closes off the airway, resulting in the person not breathing. It then ends with a loud snore as the brain sends the message to breathe more forcefully. Hypersomnia is an alteration in sleep pattern characterized by excessive sleep during the day. Sleep paralysis is the experience of waking from sleep and being unable to move, speak, or cry out. Hypnagogic hallucinations are lifelike dreams and hallucinations that often incorporate elements of the environment and are experienced during the hypnagogic state.

Answer to Question 2

2. The baby's 18-month-old brother was trying to pull him out of the crib and dropped the baby on the floor..

Rationale:
All of the statements made by the parents are plausible from a developmental prospective except the statement, The baby's 18-month-old brother was trying to pull him out of the crib and dropped the baby on the floor.. Developmentally, it would be very difficult for an 18-month-old child to pull an infant out of a crib.

londonang

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

ghepp

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

To combat osteoporosis, changes in lifestyle and diet are recommended. At-risk patients should include 1,200 to 1,500 mg of calcium daily either via dietary means or with supplements.

Did you know?

Opium has influenced much of the world's most popular literature. The following authors were all opium users, of varying degrees: Lewis Carroll, Charles, Dickens, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Oscar Wilde.

Did you know?

The highest suicide rate in the United States is among people ages 65 years and older. Almost 15% of people in this age group commit suicide every year.

Did you know?

On average, the stomach produces 2 L of hydrochloric acid per day.

Did you know?

The term bacteria was devised in the 19th century by German biologist Ferdinand Cohn. He based it on the Greek word "bakterion" meaning a small rod or staff. Cohn is considered to be the father of modern bacteriology.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library