This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is managing care for clients who receive nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). ... (Read 26 times)

Davideckstein7

The nurse is managing care for clients who receive nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). What are the primary laboratory tests the nurse will assess prior to initiation of therapy? (Select all that apply.)

1. Creatine clearance
   2. Electrolytes
   3. Liver function tests
   4. Complete blood count (CBC)
   5. Serum amylase

Question 2

The nurse determines that teaching has been effective for the client with metabolic alkalosis if the client states which of the following?

1. I will use only sodium bicarbonate as my antacid..
   2. I will take antacids only for my gastric discomforts..
   3. I will eat foods high in potassium while I am taking Lasix..
   4. I will restrict my intake of fluids..

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

dawsa925

Answer to Question 1

1. Creatine clearance
3. Liver function tests
4. Complete blood count (CBC)

Rationale:
It is important to assess the client's creatine clearance to determine kidney function prior to initiation of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) therapy. It is also important to assess the client's liver function tests and complete blood count (CBC) prior to initiation of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) therapy. There is no need to assess the client's electrolytes or serum amylase; these are not factors that are affected by nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).

Answer to Question 2

3. I will eat foods high in potassium while I am taking Lasix..

Rationale:
The client on Lasix (furosemide) may lose excess potassium and dispose the client toward metabolic alkalosis. The client is taught to refrain from the use of sodium antacids when prone to metabolic alkalosis. The client should consult with the primary care provider for gastric distress rather than self medication. The client who is prone to metabolic alkalosis is likely to have fluid deficits and would not be instructed to restrict fluids.

Davideckstein7

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

carojassy25

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Eating food that has been cooked with poppy seeds may cause you to fail a drug screening test, because the seeds contain enough opiate alkaloids to register as a positive.

Did you know?

Signs and symptoms of a drug overdose include losing consciousness, fever or sweating, breathing problems, abnormal pulse, and changes in skin color.

Did you know?

The newest statin drug, rosuvastatin, has been called a superstatin because it appears to reduce LDL cholesterol to a greater degree than the other approved statin drugs.

Did you know?

Many supplement containers do not even contain what their labels say. There are many documented reports of products containing much less, or more, that what is listed on their labels. They may also contain undisclosed prescription drugs and even contaminants.

Did you know?

More than 50% of American adults have oral herpes, which is commonly known as "cold sores" or "fever blisters." The herpes virus can be active on the skin surface without showing any signs or causing any symptoms.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library