This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The patient reports pain after surgery, ranking it 6 on a scale of 1 to 10. She tells the nurse, I ... (Read 30 times)

notis

The patient reports pain after surgery, ranking it 6 on a scale of 1 to 10. She tells the nurse, I don't want to be all doped up. My family is coming to visit and I want to be alert enough to visit with them.

Which of the following medications would likely be most effective for postoperative pain relief without excessive sedation?
  a. Fentanyl IV
  b. Morphine IV
  c. Ibuprofen PO
  d. Hydrocodone PO

Question 2

The pediatric nurse is caring for a 4-year-old child who is experiencing chronic pain secondary to tissue injury from past sickle cell anemia crises. Which of the following nonpharmacological pain reduction interventions might the nurse implement?

Have the child:
  a. Perform vigorous activity
  b. Practice visualization
  c. Listen to rap music
  d. Watch a funny movie

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Koolkid240

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D

Did you know?

There can actually be a 25-hour time difference between certain locations in the world. The International Date Line passes between the islands of Samoa and American Samoa. It is not a straight line, but "zig-zags" around various island chains. Therefore, Samoa and nearby islands have one date, while American Samoa and nearby islands are one day behind. Daylight saving time is used in some islands, but not in others—further shifting the hours out of sync with natural time.

Did you know?

Eat fiber! A diet high in fiber can help lower cholesterol levels by as much as 10%.

Did you know?

The top five reasons that children stay home from school are as follows: colds, stomach flu (gastroenteritis), ear infection (otitis media), pink eye (conjunctivitis), and sore throat.

Did you know?

If all the neurons in the human body were lined up, they would stretch more than 600 miles.

Did you know?

Complications of influenza include: bacterial pneumonia, ear and sinus infections, dehydration, and worsening of chronic conditions such as asthma, congestive heart failure, or diabetes.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library